Thread: Singapore's Sewage Water Made Into Beer

Singapore's Sewage Water Made Into Beer

Just for all the beer lovers out there, google it. In the seventies, local chemical plant, at dedication, had drinking water on head table, which actually was effluent form sewage plant. Town near us puts waste water in river about five miles ABOVE their water intake. Another town, actually several, put their waste water in river about 20 miles upstream from where some draw drinking water. Recycling at it's best! On last trip to New Orleans, saw a sign saying that water in river had already been thru hundreds of sewer plants. Guess that why N.O. gets such high marks for the taste of it's water.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-31-2023 at 5:10 PM.

If we didn’t reuse water we would have to buy it from another planet.

Any left over chopsticks in that water?
    Bill D

When we were stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif., in the late sixties and early seventies, the base would make ice blocks out of their waste water. Free for the taking for military and dependants. Had a large sign on the door stating that it was for coolers only. Not for drinking or ice in beverages.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Pittsburgh has had something like this for decades. The call it Iron City beer....

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

In southern California many sprinkler heads and fire hydrants are purple. My local industrial pipe supplier sells purple pvc pipe. I think the fittings are just regular white color.
    Bill D

The state of the art in water treatment is that they can treat wastewater (98% H2O) to be better quality than raw water out of the river. Fear of using it is purely psychological. Nothing magic about the river or lake that makes the sewage component disappear.
    < insert spurious quote here >

My mom grew up in a small oil town near Bakersfield. The company ran an icehouse and workers could pick up ice blocks for free as part of their pay. Her family had a mechanical refrigerator.
    Bill D

Years ago Europeans would say American beer tasted like it was brewed through a horse. After reading some of these comments they might have been right.

Blog Entries
    Was it the American Puritans that figured out how to use hops to make very unsafe water into slightly safer "small beer"? Or was it the Irish?
    Best Regards, Maurice

When I was growing up in England, during one of our high school geography lessons, it was stated, by the time the water in the river Thames reached London, it had been drunk and urinated 7 times upstream.

One of those useless facts that stay with you for fifty+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    When I was growing up in England, during one of our high school geography lessons, it was stated, by the time the water in the river Thames reached London, it had been drunk and urinated 7 times upstream.

One of those useless facts that stay with you for fifty+ years.
    Kinda like, since high school, has anyone asked you about anything you were forced to read in English classes? I'm willing to bet that you use what you learned in math classes every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Was it the American Puritans that figured out how to use hops to make very unsafe water into slightly safer "small beer"? Or was it the Irish?
    I thought beer was being made long before the Puritans? Various forms of alcoholic beverages had been made for centuries to drink because the water at the time was often not safe to drink.

Blog Entries
    The colonels certainly brought beer with them. There is an American twist. I thought it was larger amounts of Hops for the antiseptic benefits. Maybe it was the use of corn? If memory serves there is a beer recipe in Kish or Cuneiform is among the oldest known writing.
    Best Regards, Maurice