Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini PC purchase. Maybe

Mini PC purchase. Maybe

Not having been involved at all with Windows or PC’s since retiring a decade ago, I’ve not kept up with the particulars of different versions. I’m considering purchasing a mini PC. Kind of astonished at the prices for these little things (5x5x2.) I can get one with windows 10 or 11. Any reason in particular to avoid either of these versions? Thanks
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

MIchael, I am using a desktop PC I bought 1 year ago. I started on it with Win10 and now running Win11 Home Version without any issues.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Windows 10 is likely going away. If you have to ask if there's a difference between them, then you probably want Windows 11 so that you don't have to upgrade.

I'd ditch windows and go with Linux Mint and the free open office suite. If you don't play games it is perfect and IMO leaps and bounds better then windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Windows 10 is likely going away. If you have to ask if there's a difference between them, then you probably want Windows 11 so that you don't have to upgrade.
    Not until October 2025 though. Will Windows 12 be out by then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    I'd ditch windows and go with Linux Mint and the free open office suite. If you don't play games it is perfect and IMO leaps and bounds better then windows.
    Unless you need to run software from Adobe, Intuit (Quick books) Autodesk etc. and require 100% file compatibility. I dual boot and have no issues at all. I just make sure to install Windows first then Linux, BSD whatever. If I install Linux first, Windows will overwrite GRUB the Linux bootloader. GRUB will find the Windows bootloader and add it to the list. I run Linux 99% of the time but there's one app that I need to run about 15 minutes/month and there is no substitute, doesn't even work on Mac.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-01-2023 at 9:22 AM.

I use my Intel Nuc in the shop to run my CNC and lasers, its on Windows 10 Pro and is off the internet, does not need to update as it works fine for what I am doing. This is the first computer I have purchased new in years.

I picked up a like new MacBook Pro 2020 16 inch model with 16 Mb memory and 500 Gb solid state hard drive. Its partitioned with Windows 10 Pro on one side and of course Apple system on the other with Bootcamp I can use either side. The Win10 will be a backup for the shop. Lenovo All in One for the desktop here, again used from a college professor.

Would stay away from Win11 until they get the bugs worked out and will the software you want run on it??
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill, Win11 has been out for a long time now...any bugs are "normal" bugs at this point. That said, the changes in the UI are both good and bad. Good in that Win11 is more "Mac" like in initial appearance. Bad in that it's different enough that folks used to earlier versions have to think a little.

Michael, while I'm a MacOS person, if I had to have a Windows machine for some specific purpose, I'd seriously consider one of the small, compact units for the purpose, or an older Intel processor Mac Mini loaded with Windows. For new, I'd go Win11 because that makes the most sense long term. For the other example, I'd go Win10 because of hardware requirements. (Win11 requires certain security things to be in place for it to be compatible with the hardware one is going to run on it) On my desktop, I currently run Win11 under Parallels on top of MacOS and that suits my needs for the moment for my CAD/CAM software. (the only thing I use Windows for)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Perhaps? I'm struggling a bit with a number of Windows 10 boxen that won't go to 11 because of security nonsense. (I've got a background in IT before you ask). Why deal with the hassle if you don't have too? As for what might happen in the future, anything is possible, but trying to make a decision based on what might happen is folly. Maybe Windows won't be a thing in 2025? IDK, and I don't think it's relevant. I doubt MS is going to _lower_ the security requirements for whatever comes next.

Thats what I am finding out Andrew with Windows 10 Pro, I tend to stay away from Mid Term Windows updates like the disaster Win 8 and of course Vista was! For what I use Windows for I have no need to upgrade to the headaches of yet another upgrade?? . I dumped Parallels off my Mac because of the BS and did the boot camp instead and Windows 10. Much happier with it, agree don't need hassle. The older Parallels was perfect, not this new one! As long as my CNC controller and laser software don't need upgrades I am ok.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Michael, while I'm a MacOS person, if I had to have a Windows machine for some specific purpose, I'd seriously consider one of the small, compact units for the purpose, or an older Intel processor Mac Mini loaded with Windows.
    Or, from a different direction, Win1X on the big box and Linux on the compact.

I got a tiny Wyse/Dell widget that cost under $100 just to play with Linux.
    (That C-note included upgrading memory, SSD, and buying a KVM switch and cables: the "computer" itself was $18 on ebay.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

What is your use case for the mini pc? If it is just web surfing and general pc stuff a mini pc should do the job just fine. Games are usually where a full build PC is needed, mainly to support an advanced graphics card. Even my 6 year old PC and processor worked fine for editing 61mp photos with a fast storage system to back it up.

I just purchased a Mini PC off of AliExpress with three 1 gigabit ethernet ports and 2 additional 10Gbs GBIC ports to run OPNSense, a FreeBSD based packaged OS for firewalls. The price from AliExpress was pretty incredible... IF IT WORKS RELIABLY! A lot less than I would have spent on another hobbled name brand router that is compatible with DD-WRT. For a Windows mini-pc I would steer very clear of AliExpress, ebay and the likes as they usually come with a Windows OS installed with a pirated activation key that eventually gets blacklisted. The Mini PC's on Amazon should come with a genuine Windows OS, usually for less than a Windows license costs by itself.

It has been by experience that BeeLink makes good mini PC's for a reasonable price. I am a fan of ASUS in general and would put their mini PC's high on my list of possibilities.

Any 11th or 12th generation Intel processor should maintain Microsoft OS compatibility for many years to come. I usually steer towards AMD processors because they have historically usually been the best bang per buck. I wouldn't think twice about buying AMD or Intel these days. The little Intel ATOM processors are super cheap, come in super mini PC's and usually have all the power a typical web surfer / word processor will ever need... at very low power requirements. I have a Intel 5105 mini pc that I run my Linux based home automation system on. I was surprised at how quick it was even when running windows 11.

Like others I also got screwed on the Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade on my 6 year old motherboard/processor. I finally had to upgrade my workstation to a modern processor and motherboard that supports the "enhanced" security stuff in Windows 11.

The first thing I do on any Windows box is install OpenShell which allows me to make the GUI look like any version of Windows I want. I prefer the XP start menu and GUI so that is what I usually set it to under OpenShell. I HATE the way Microsoft is always rearranging things just so it looks different, definitely not better. The other thing I hate is all the BLOATware that comes in Windows OS's these days, One note, One Drive, Xbox junk, Games, Teams, etc. The second thing I do is remove all that junk, only to have it reappear a month later when Microsoft ships out a major OS update. OneDrive is a particularly pesky one to try to get rid of! It is like herpes, always showing up when you least want it to. Office 365 is another monthly fee abomination that Micerosoft wants to shove down our throats! I WILL NOT COMPLY! I use my old Office 2012 license or just install OpenOffice instead. I like both better than the Office 365 that I have to use at work.

I usually have a half dozen different OS's running under VMWare on my workstation for cross platform software development. You can do the same thing with Hyper V in Windows for free, just not as elegantly. Virtualization is a great way to check out different OS's and give them a try.

A mini pc is going to have very little upgrade path and the mini pc motherboards I have seen have been proprietary formats. A mini ITX will use standardized dimensioned parts... but it probably isn't worth the extra cost with as cheap as mini pc's are.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-02-2023 at 1:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Or, from a different direction, Win1X on the big box and Linux on the compact.

I got a tiny Wyse/Dell widget that cost under $100 just to play with Linux.
    (That C-note included upgrading memory, SSD, and buying a KVM switch and cables: the "computer" itself was $18 on ebay.)
    Linux would be useless for me since any such computer I'd consider would be specifically to run a Windows-only CAD/CAM application should I begin to have issues with using Parallels. I like and have used Linux and a whole bunch of other Unix and Unix-like OSs over the years, but they are not helpful for certain dedicated applications.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

While I like and can operate in a Linux environment, Linux seems like a poor suggestion for anybody who hasn't been involved with Windows or PCs for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    October 2025 is only a bit over two and a half years away. That isn't long in the computer world. Most home users are planning to keep any new PC for more than two and a half years. I'm already starting to think about Windows Server 2016 end of life which isn't until Jan 12, 2027.