Thread: The little engine that could? Ryobi snowblower

The little engine that could? Ryobi snowblower

Hi fellow Creekers.

Does anyone have experience with Ryobi battery operated snowblowers? I have one, the largest single stage available here in Canada. I have problems with ice accumulating in the pivot mechanism of the chute as well as in the chute itself.

Would it be advisable to use silicone oil to improve the situation?

Thank you and regards, Andre Packwood

candle wax and. a propane torch.
    Bill D

Usually ice accumulates if the surface is warm when you start and snow melts and sticks to the surface. My loader bucket if I don't let it have a couple minutes to get cold will almost pack solid with snow. Of course wet snow is prone to packing anyway but usually will release if I bump it on the ground. You can try silicone or wax and see if it helps. Nothing lost in trying different things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Usually ice accumulates if the surface is warm when you start and snow melts and sticks to the surface. My loader bucket if I don't let it have a couple minutes to get cold will almost pack solid with snow. Of course wet snow is prone to packing anyway but usually will release if I bump it on the ground. You can try silicone or wax and see if it helps. Nothing lost in trying different things.
    Ron, is correct. I store my snow blower (gas powered) in my garage, which is always warmer than out side. I spray the auger and chute with silicone spray before each use and it helps. If you can sit the snow blower outside before you put on your boots, hat and coat it will allow the parts to cool off a bit before you start using it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your replies. I am glad to read from you that silicone should help, so I guess I will try some silicone oil. As all the parts are made of plastic and Ryobi warns against using solvents, I will avoid the silicone spray. This also makes me steer away from the blow torch.

The snowblower is kept in an unheated shed while the batteries are recharged and stored in a heated garage.

Thanks again, Andre

Try a vegetable oil spray like Pam. It can be used on snow shovels too to help the snow release.

I'm in the Great White North, too, André. Silicone works very well, but I have excellent results from the Loblaws no name cooking spray. It does not last as long as silicone, but it's cheap. Just keep the can in the heated house, spray before and after clearing snow and thing will work well. The spray can does not like to be stored in my -20° garage.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Yes to veg oil cooking spray.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I don't like veg oil because it hardens...

I've mentioned this on another thread, 'Super Slick Slick Stuff'
    ssss.jpg
    I've never used any 'lubricant' that works as well as this stuff does-

Walmart and Lowes has it, others I'm sure...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I had some Remington synthetic gun oil that worked wonders. But I haven't seen it in a number of years. I usually use fluid film now. It last longer than pam or silicone spray.