Thread: Ben Moore Command - Sheens

Ben Moore Command - Sheens

My wife and I just broke ground on our new house. I'm going to have a go at the painting. I really like the Benjamin Moore Command paint for cabinets. Many of the characteristics that make it good for cabinets also apply for trim painting. However, it only comes in gloss and satin. We prefer semigloss for the trim painting. My possibly silly question is can you combine gloss and satin to get semigloss if you mix them properly? I have and know how to use the appropriate airless spray equipment.

Thanks.

Yes, you can combine sheens. Alternatively, you can get flatting agents and just use the gloss; do the first coat with gloss and your second coat with your custom mix. Be sure you mix enough to do the whole job if you can as "matching" a custom sheen can be a challenge. Also, start by adding only a little and test. Be sure to let each test fully dry before deciding on a go or no-go-needs-more-flatting-agent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I didn't think about the flatting agent route. I think that's what I'll try. It seems like it may be easier to get what she wants that way.

Yes, you can sneak up on the "right" sheen that way. But again, the operative word is "sneak" up on it so don't avoid the testing thing even if it delays your project. While you are testing, you can do that first coat with the gloss, decide how much it needs to be toned down in consultation with "the boss" and go from there. Be sure you are taking extra care with mixing before each application session, too...flatting agents require that, even on factory produced sheens.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...