Thread: Nova Nebula

Nova Nebula

If this post looks familiar, it might be that you saw it at the AAW forum. Only one response there posing the same question.

Having turned with a Nova 1624-44 for several years, I noted, with interest the initial reports of Nova’s new Nebula. This looks like a lathe that ticks off many of the boxes I have jotted down for new lathe features.

But, despite my early good luck communicating with Teknatool in Florida after buying my 1624-44, all of my attempts to find out details about the Nebula have resulted in no response. Several emails and phone messages have apparently drifted off into the ether.

Woodcraft and Rockler are listed as Nova dealers, but Woodcraft tells me that they no longer carry Nova lathes. Rockler lists the Orion and Galaxie on their website but they know nothing about the Nebula. The local Rockler dealer hadn’t remembered the last time he saw a Nova lathe in the store.

ACME and CPO list the Nebula, but they don’t have any and neither company appears to be answering their phones of late.

Wondering if anyone has heard anything that would shed light on the apparent downturn in Teknatool customer service response as well as the fact that dealers are so in the dark about a new lathe from a company that they have historically carried.

I'm guessing you are bit early. I saw an advertisement for it in the AAW magazine. But, it's likely that's a bit early too. Once it's really available, you'll be able to find out more. But, then again there will be little to no history from users on it for at least the 1st year or so.

It looks like a Nova and likely quacks like one too. If you like their design, I'm sure it's as good as any.

Spiracraft on you tube has an unboxing and some info. They aren't readily available yet

I understand that this is a new product that has only recently begun to trickle into the US. As such, the limitation on specific information about the machine is to be expected.

My concern is that what looks to be a well designed machine might not be supported by an adequate retail or distribution structure at the moment. As I mentioned, one of the national franchises (Woodcraft) has decided to stop carrying Nova lathes. Rockler seems to have stopped stocking Nova in their stores and Teknatool US has not responded to any of my phone calls, messages or emails for a period of more than two weeks.

I bought my Nova 1624 from a local Woodcraft dealer several years ago. I had a minor warranty issue that Woodcraft took on in communication with Teknatool in Florida. The resolution was both timely and complete. Both Woodcraft and Teknatool were excellent to work with.

As I consider the new Nova, I am thinking that my only purchase options might be one of the large mail order tool houses like ACME or CPO neither of which I would think of as providing much assistance with warranty issues. That would leave me having to address any warranty issues with a distributor who appears to be currently non communicative.

Oh well, maybe this is fate telling me that I should just spring for the Robust and move on.😬

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post

My concern is that what looks to be a well designed machine might not be supported by an adequate retail or distribution structure at the moment. As I mentioned, one of the national franchises (Woodcraft) has decided to stop carrying Nova lathes. Rockler seems to have stopped stocking Nova in their stores and Teknatool US has not responded to any of my phone calls, messages or emails for a period of more than two weeks.

. . .

As I consider the new Nova, I am thinking that my only purchase options might be one of the large mail order tool houses like ACME or CPO neither of which I would think of as providing much assistance with warranty issues. That would leave me having to address any warranty issues with a distributor who appears to be currently non communicative.

Oh well, maybe this is fate telling me that I should just spring for the Robust and move on.

I’m with you on the Robust.

Per your concerns about Nova/Teknatool support, I believe them to be well-founded. Over the last 12 months, I’ve received no useful help - when I could finally get a response after repeated emails - from the Customer “Support” group in FL. I was trying to extend the life of my trusty 20-yr old DVR 3000 by replacing the motor-control and HMI boards before they flaked out. I learned that the new boards will fit in my old headstock, and tried to order the parts. No response; another email or so and still no response. I wrote to TeknaTool in NZ, who apparently forwarded my email to the US Customer service manager. He finally returned my email after six or so weeks, explained that they had had staff turnover, and told me my problem was too difficult to solve, as they had only one of the two boards in stock, and he wasn’t “allowed” to reserve the other one from the next manufacturing run, and had no idea when that would be. End of communication, no offer to help a long-term customer in any way.

I was also interested in the new Nebula - I like the Nova lathes - but between my own experience and a dozen or so documented on the BBB site, I’ve resolved to buy another brand. I don’t believe they’re currently able to support customers in North America.

—Tom Walton

In addition to the Spiracraft unboxing and setup video, the weekly demos done by Spiracraft now use the Nebula, since the new lathe was received. I believe that Spiracraft could answer at least some of your questions concerning features and use since it's been in use on the demos for close to a month; maybe longer. Bradley McAllister, of Spiracraft, has always been responsive on questions about his products and he definitely is a Nova dealer.

One thing I would say from observation of 2 demos since he put the Nebula in place is that it seems as if there is noticeable vibration with larger pieces. However, I have a Powermatic 3520C, which weighs over 700 pounds. The Nebula is about 200 pounds or more lighter. Therefore, I'm used to essentially no vibration except with the largest, most out of balance blanks. It does have some nice features, including direct drive, capability of speed presets, immediate stop after lathe turn off . . .

As for Nova support, I started turning with a Nova Comet II midi lathe. I had to replce the control unit after less than 2 years as it just stopped working, which meant the lathe wouldn't start. I felt Nova wasn't real responsive even though their support guy indicated that, without evidence of burns on the inside of the unit, it was likely not a power surge; more likely it just quit working. So I replaced the unit which was about 1/3 the cost of a new Comet II at the time. While Nova was certainly under no obligation to replce the part, given the warranty was only 1 year, I felt there was evidence supported by their tech person that indicate the unit just failed on its own and it shouldn't have after less than 2 years. I don't have the lathe anymore so don't know whether the replaced unit still works or not. Also, the Nebula is not driven in the same way as the Comet II. I believe the Nebula has a DVR which the Comet II didn't have. One of the reasons I didn't consider another Nova lathe was the Comet II support incident. The second factor was capacity and weight. You can decide on your own whether my comments about support are reasonable or not. I have plenty of Nova products and they did replace a set of jaws I bought that didn't completely meet when closed, so my experience is inconsistent.

Reading the complaints on the Florida Better Business Bureau web site was pretty revealing. Ironically, the BBB gives Teknatool an A- grade, though it is not accredited by the BBB.

That grade appears to be based upon the number of complaints that end up resolved. Unfortunately, virtually all the resolved complaints are the same; customer has warranty issue, contacts Teknatool who does not respond until customer files complaint with BBB, Teknatool apologizes and, in most cases, resolves the warranty issue.

It appears that Teknatool US is adding a BBB step to its warranty claim process.

I still think that Teknatool manufactures good lathes. But, for me, life is too short to buy into a distribution/support system that requires a secret password, handshake and a fair amount of luck just to communicate with them.

I checked the Woodcraft website - they have 3 types of Nova Lathes listed for sale on there ( no Nebula) . So any salesperson who says they do not carry them should check his company's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    I checked the Woodcraft website - they have 3 types of Nova Lathes listed for sale on there ( no Nebula) . So any salesperson who says they do not carry them should check his company's website.
    I spoke to the store manager. Might be a franchise owner decision.

Acme Tools lists the Nova Nebula : https://www.acmetools.com/nebula-18i...25%20-%2025%25
    $3,299 with free shipping to the lower 48 States. Powermatic 3520c may be a slightly more heavy duty lathe but is shown at $5,699 with shipping costs extra.
    Really large price difference there. The Nova Nebula looks very interesting, just will take a little back order time. Found the new Nova Neptune very interesting, I will probably get that one as benchtop lathe would be a good "start" for me. Used to like doing lathe work back in HS woodshop days.