Thread: Sliding table saw purchase advice question

Sliding table saw purchase advice question

I've got a line on an older SCMI SI150 that I'm looking at getting, and I need some advice from those of you with sliders. This one has an issue with the blade angle adjustment, the seller just sent me a photo and it looks like the mount for the leadscrew is cracked and missing a small piece.

324159253_544946734258736_3441996459988371146_n.jpg

My question is, should this be a total dealbreaker? If I can get the casting out I can braze the crack, or drill some holes through the casting and bolt it together, or something else along those lines, but I don't have a good working knowledge of what the casting as a whole looks like/how easy it would be to get access to in the first place. The seller's asking price is only $1500, if that makes a difference.

Does the mechanism work without the missing fragment? If so, don't worry about it. I doubt you could buy a spare part from SCMI. Brazing/welding is possible by a skilled metalworker. Is the fragment existing or missing?

The SI150 looks like the SI12 I used to run. $1500 would be a good deal if the saw is in working order.

The seller tells me that that wooden block in the photo is holding the leadscrew mount in place, so it sounds like it's fully broken, although the block is a functional hack for keeping it in place to allow blade angle adjustments. That missing fragment is also gone.

I'd pass unless I could look at it up close with an eye to repairability and get it for a lowball price. Maybe it's ok cobbed together as is but there are other complete saws out there.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now too. Thanks for the help.

Hard pass!

Would absolutely pass

Broke things like that on an older machine can present significant angst, especially involving castings. I'll also suggest passing on this one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Depending on how long it's been running on that crutch there could be other hidden problems.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Contrary opinion, I'm not familiar with that machine so I don't specifically know how serious that break is, but if it's something fixable by you and you have the aptitude and desire, then it is the single best way there is to get a deal on a machine.