Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, it seems using cash to haggle doesn't work like it used to!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    And one more thing, that thing about the $4000 “mistake”, that was all for show.
    Maybe, but I'm pretty sure it was actually a mistake The Edmunds ad is still up, but now with the higher price--
    escaladeEdmunds.jpg
    --which is $3900 more than I paid for it. The dealer ad is off their site now--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    And one more thing, that thing about the $4000 “mistake”, that was all for show.
    @ the end of the day - does it really matter?
    The buyer is convinced he "got a deal" & better yet, got one over on the (evil) car dealer.

The dealer moved a unit & got a repeat customer.

The buyer got his dream car & is happy about having a luxury SUV he saved roughly 25% on.

Win/win all around.

(you're probably right though - car dealers don't make mistakes like that- - $4000 - they are slimy enough that they would just refuse to honor the price, unless there was some really good reason not to.)
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I've yet to see a wireless card reader at a US restaurant. Required in the EU.
    I've seen (and used them) a number of times. That was generally in newer, independent restaurants that didn't have a big investment in traditional point of sale stations at counters, but not always. Red Robin, for example, uses handhelds for order submission and has wireless terminals at every table where one can pay directly if they prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Texas Road House

I've used them many times. Chili's uses them and I can't recall the other ones that I've been in that do. Maybe TGIFriday's. Or Ruby Tuesday. At least some take it a step further and have games on the screen you can play......but not for free.

It seems that car dealers also give you a price and now days if you try to get them down further don't care if you walk away. Someone else will be there to buy if you don't.

When buying a used truck two years ago, I found a 2500 GMC listed for $18k on either Edmunds or Auto Trader that caught my interest. We were on a trip with our motorhome and I diverted the drive home by the dealer to look at it. After test driving it, I asked about pricing with the thought of offering them $15k to start. Figured we would meet in the middle. Anyway, before I could offer a price, the dealer took off and left me standing there while mumbling something about getting me a price. He came back with a line item sheet showing I could have the truck out the door for $29k and change. I actually laughed at them and the dealer and sales manager stood there looking at me like I was insane. I pointed out the $18k price and they immediately told me it was a mistake and should have been $22k. They also advised they charged a $2,600 reconditioning fee on all used vehicles, plus this one had all the extras like undercoating and crap. I again laughed, called them crooked and walked out the door. Headed over to my motorhome and we drove away. The dealer continued to call and text me for a week or two until I blocked their number. They insisted we could work something out and they were ready to lower their price. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    No joke-- I don't get out much and I while I usually tip in cash I HAVE many times added a tip to bill to be charged to my card, so I know how it's done

BUT- I've never been anywhere that tipping by tapping or swiping a card at the table was possible...
    One of the casual chain restaurants had gadgets on the table where you can pay your bill and add a tip. I don't recall which one - Chilis? I have heard it's a better idea to leave a tip in cash. Supposedly the restaurant will take a piece of the tip if paid as part of the check. I don't know how true that is.

It also doesn't hurt to 'know people'. An old boating buddy of mine is the sales manager at one of our area's largest Chevy dealers, and his brother is a salesman there. About 8 years ago to the day, I ran across an ad at his dealership for a 2013 Mustang GT Convertible, car was barely 2 years old, IIRC the price was just shy of $33k. I asked the wife if she wanted another Mustang GT convertible for her 60th birthday to go with her 40th birthday present, an '89 Mustang GT convertible. She thought that would be ok -

So I called my friend, explained the situation, he had us come in to test drive it, we said 'yes, start the paperwork!' Only thing he asked for was my social, we never even discussed price... An hour or so later he brought us loan paperwork to sign, I gave him a check for some down payment. Our price out the door, including sale tax and doc fees, was nearly $5k off the ad price. I'm not sure how much if any the dealership made off the sale, and I never asked, but I've always assumed at the very least, the brothers gave away their end just because we were their friends. How they wheel n' deal with normal folk I have no clue, but I'm glad we're friends!
    This was a couple days after we brought the new Mustang home
    DSC05063.jpg
    --And we still have both of 'em!

I actually called my friend to check on the price of a 2 year newer Escalade at 'their' place just before we went in and got the one we got, but it was his day off. However, the newer one was SUBSTANTIALLY more money than the one we ended up with, so I'm happy!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I was at a dealer last fall looking at a new Mazda CX50
    I asked what kind discount I could expect off sticker, Sales person said " We are charging $4,000 over sticker price"
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Maybe we're heading toward the end of the "plaid-talking-salesman-guess-what you're-going-to-pay-for-this-car" model of selling cars. No reason why we should have to buy this "appliance" any differently from buying a refrigerator.
    < insert spurious quote here >