Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pancake compressors

I think there is a distinction to be made between oil-less and oil bath compressors.

While I currently have two oil-less ones, IME they are disposable and not designed for long life, especially if exposed to any weather e.g. job site. The two oil bath ones are 15 and 25 years old, respectively.

You might look at Rolair as well. I’ve had a JC10 plus for a handful of years and it’s very very quiet, plenty of capacity, well built, compact in dimensions, and easy enough to move around if you need to.
    Still waters run deep.

I'd consider just switching to batt powered pinnner/trim nailer. I've switched to Mill M18. I have an electric hvlp so dont even need it for that anymore......

I have a 4.6 gal Husky 4610A (Cal Air model) It is very quite and is great. I did pick up the M18 Compresor, it works quite well and is quiet. I run the other guns with it Finish 15g, Brad 18g and Pin 21g. I have not tried it with my Framing Nailer yet. The Husky can run that one.

I had a Porter-Cable twin-hotdog compressor for over 20 years. It was a gift, but it had one of the best air delivery ratings in its class/price range. But it was noisy—darn near gave me a heart attack a few times when I left it on in the garage and it came on overnight. Last year, it developed a pin hole in the end of one of the tanks. I couldn’t see it, but I could hear and feel it. It didn’t owe me anything, so I replaced it with a California Air twin hotdog compressor with aluminum tanks. It doesn’t have quite the air delivery, but it is much, much quieter, and much lighter, not that I carry it around much due to no longer being a contractor. Very satisfied.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I guess i had the opposite experience ironically, although it seems likely my experience was an anomaly. I purchased a California Air Tools "industrial" compressor for around $1500. The tank is not ASME certified (if that matters to you), but neither are the pancakes etc. It was oil-free and rated for continuous duty cycle as well. I used it fairly lightly for about 6 months before the motor "blew". CAT didn't have replacement parts, so they took the unit back (which was really nice of them), however I had no compressor. I decided to buy a pancake compressor while I waited for a few months. I paid $149 for a Bostitch and it worked great. If you can get over the noise, you can't beat the value. I couldn't get over the noise because I need a decent CFM etc. I think for the OP's situation, a Pancake compressor is pretty damn good value. I also like the Seneca oil-free compressors, I used one for around 8 years.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 1.19.51 PM.jpg
    Last edited by derek labian; 01-31-2023 at 2:31 PM.

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor, and it is loud! I bought the same California Air compressor that Tom linked above, and it is way quieter and much more enjoyable to use. It has handled everything up to a 15 gauge finish nailer with no issues. I haven't tried a framing nailer, but I have a larger 240V compressor to run that, if needed.

The drain water coming out of that aluminum tank has always been clear, which must also be a good thing as well as the light weight. It's a little slow pumping up the tires on a gooseneck trailer to 80 psi, but it's still easier to move the little compressor than to back the trailer close enough to one of the big compressors. I just use a clip on air nozzle and let it do it. It's been my most used compressor since I bought it.

I have a 10 hp 2 stage pressurized oil one on a 120 gallon tank, a 5hp 2 stage 80 gallon that used to stay in a step van for site work, a twin tank somewhat portable Emglo that will run a framer https://www.lowes.com/pd/Emglo-4-Gal...ressor/3400030
    , a 30 gallon single stage Husky that I wish was back where it came from, and the 2010a. They all get used, but the little one gets used most often.

I had a Senco pancake that wouldn't die, but I gave it away to someone who didn't have an air compressor. I didn't want to hear it run again.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-01-2023 at 1:20 PM.

I would buy any compressor from California Air Tools if it fit my needs. The big orange box has a few at good prices. There is enough noise in the shop with out a jet engine like compressor.