Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Stanley #45 users?

Any Stanley #45 users?

Any Creekers out there that are using the Stanley #45 regularly? I found one at an antique shop years ago, sans all but one cutter but otherwise complete. This weekend I dusted it off to see what I might use it for. I already have a small plow plane for grooves and a skew rabbet on the way for rabbets. With the scarcity (and high cost) of tongue and groove planes I though it might make a good dedicated tongue plane with my plow used for the grooves. Any thoughts? Is trying to find a #45 cutter set (or just tongue cutters) a fools errand?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Cutters are often available on ebay. I've used the #45 for tongue and groove work:

Centered Tounge.jpg

It does the job fine. Some like to also use a small bead blade to run a bead on the visible edge near the tongue. This helps to hide any gap that may open from the expansion and contraction of the wood during seasonal changes.

Note the tongue cutting blades should have a depth stop included:

Stanley 45 blades.jpg

From the left is a large beading blade, a fluting blade, a tongue blade (2 sizes available), a sash cutting blade and a five bead reeding blade (there were three sizes of reeds with blades cutting from two to five reeds in one pass.

The blades on the #45 needed to be symmetrical, cutting to the same depth at each skate. The Stanley #55 uses a skate with an adjustable height to allow for the use of non-symmetrical blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the input Jim, and for the PMs. I'll be looking around for some cutters.

I have a couple of 55's I use, so do the same thing as a 45 can do. Later Record irons fit too, which might expand your search. Just make sure they're the ones with the indexing notch like the Stanley irons have.

If you are looking for a dedicated tongue and groove plane, Union has an exact copy of the Stanley 48 with the swinging fence. I found both of mine for under $30.

I have a couple 45's and they can be made to work with some fiddling around, but I usually find the dedicated planes easier and faster to set up.

I guess it's all personal preference, but the union tongue and groove plane might be worth looking into over a set of cutters.

Hmmm...
    Drawer Build 101, front grooved.JPG
    Hmmm...
    Tuesday's time, short rods.JPG
    hmmm..
    Sat. Fights, rebate and tools.JPG
    Other ways...
    Drawer Build 101, next up.JPG
    YMMV...
    Drawer Build 101, making curls.JPG
    Type 5 and a type 20....Type 5 has it's spurs always engaged. Type 20 can not. Type 20 is too worn out to install the spurs....so, I bought the T-5 to use the spurs...for dado work.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I'm looking at a number of options. I located a couple sources for cutters and missing parts. They'll be "getting back to me" with specific prices based on condition. I predict they'll be pretty spendy. I'm also weighing the cost of a wide blade kit and some cutters from Lee Valley to fit my Veritas Small Plow plane.

Those cutters will also fit a Stanley 45...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I did not know that. I'll have to try a couple of the ones I already have.

Wow, NH Plane Parts? I never knew they existed and they are less than 3 miles from me in the next town over. I'll have to check them out.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Open every Friday, Saturday...and even a Sunday...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I did not know that. I'll have to try a couple of the ones I already have.
    You will find the Veritas Small Plow Plane cutters are shorter than the Stanley #45 cutters. The dimensions are different on the Sash, fluting and Match blades. If you already have the VSPP, then there would be no loss in ordering the Veritas blades. Though the blades are not fully interchangeable.

Blades Compared.jpg

The top blade is from a #50, the next two are from a #45 and the bottom two are from the Veritas Small Plow Plane. The geometries and design sizes of the planes are different.

My post on it is here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419

Though in all honesty I didn't try the Veritas cutters in my Stanley #45. Maybe someone with the Veritas match/tongue cutters and both planes can offer a definitive answer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I checked and found the same thing. The Veritas irons worked fine. Good thing the #45 has plenty of blade adjustment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I checked and found the same thing. The Veritas irons worked fine. Good thing the #45 has plenty of blade adjustment.
    Have you tried the match/tongue cutting blades?

jtk