Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A great skin treatment: Lanolin Oil

A great skin treatment: Lanolin Oil

It is thick, but soaks in well. Has no odor after application. So many lotions just seem to disappear, I swear some
    are just thick water with a bit of perfume. Lanolin is often used miserly in skin lotions ….accomplishing nothing. Working alone it is good medicine. Available in quantities from several ounces to a gallon.

Come by here in March and I'll set you up for a natural Lanonlin treatment. Wear some old clothes. I'll provide all the equipment. Nothing like shearing a few sheep to immerse you in the most natural lanolin possible. Soaks through the jeans and flannel shirts and into the skin. Leaves your hands and forearms super soft. The odor is gone after about two showers. The clothes should probably be discarded. that smell of sheep lingers and dogs will try to herd you.

Blog Entries
    + 1 for lanolin! The family farm is now part of my brothers sheep station.
    Goose grease is also a good skin treatment. I inadvertently tried it as a whole body treatment. One Christmas Step Mom In Law insisted on training us on how to cook a goose her way (Julia Childs recipe). No one told me the goose had been soaked in the bath tub. Boy O boy was I ever soft and slippery when I got out.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Lanolin mixed with 91% or better alcohol makes great case lube also for reloading. I think it's pretty much the same basic recipe that Dillon Case lube uses. Around 1 part lanolin to 8 parts alcohol.

Used a ton of Fluid Film rustproofing my cars over the years. It has lanolin. When I drive down the road in the summer and pass a farm sheep chase me.

Warren, It’s okay to “pull the wool over our eyes “ , ‘cuz it’s got LANOLIN in it!. “Ewe” know we trust your judgment and mutton will ever
    change that.

My father used to say that makeup was just sheep fat and dirt at higher prices.
    Bill D.

My wife used to spin wool decades ago. Her hands were baby soft back then.

Blog Entries
    Best Regards, Maurice

Isn't that what GOOP is made of?

I understand some people are allergic to lanolin.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Bag Balm has been my favorite ointment for dry and chapped hands since I helped out on a dairy farm sixty five years ago. We used it to heal dry, cracked and stepped on cow teats. I don't know if the formula has changed over the years but I recall it being a combo of petroleum jelly, lanolin and some form of antiseptic. I still keep a tin in the shop but you have to be careful of the greasy trail it leaves. I've started using it again to cover small cuts and scrapes because the dermatologist advises against using Neosporin (don't recall why...probably some liability issue) and recommends only petroleum jelly.

Ted , …you left out the “R” in cow-treats ! Pigs and Hogs also enjoy them. Tell ‘ya one thing …any guy who gives his wife
    a jar of Bag- Balm ,better also be bearing a stylish hand-bag ! And wearing a hockey mask !

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Isn't that what GOOP is made of?
    not made OF exactly, but like most all 'industrial' hand cleaners, it's made WITH Lanolin. Most hand cleaners, like the stuff I use daily, also contain a good amount of pumice, so Lanolin is almost an necessity with those...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Come by here in March and I'll set you up for a natural Lanonlin treatment. Wear some old clothes. I'll provide all the equipment. Nothing like shearing a few sheep to immerse you in the most natural lanolin possible. Soaks through the jeans and flannel shirts and into the skin. Leaves your hands and forearms super soft. The odor is gone after about two showers. The clothes should probably be discarded. that smell of sheep lingers and dogs will try to herd you.
    To this day I can’t eat lamb because of that stink. It’s the worst. I’m glad my sisters gave up on sheep and changed to goats (I won’t eat goat either). During haying season we would wear goatskin work gloves that had been soaked in deodorized lanolin. After a day in the fields even your callouses were as soft as a baby’s bottom.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Lamb can be OK with plenty of mint jelly. Mutton, no thanks. I am terribly spoiled to prefer beef, pork and chicken. I had some good venison once. My African B.I.L. killed a young doe while it was relaxed and prepared it bush style. It was not stinky.
    Best Regards, Maurice