Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe shopping for a new DC

Years ago... maybe 12-14..I don't remember... I did a lot of research on this. I ended up with a Clearvue Cyclone. What I found was that 'hobby' woodworkers are exposed to more particulate dust than professional woodworkers. I am somewhere between those two categories... but I wanted dust particulate and most of my sawdust picked up. The CV cyclone has done that easily. I do not have fine particulate in my shop. I have no idea where they are now or if their stuff is competitive as I know they sold the company... but I can tell you it has been an absolute fantastic purchase for me.
    I would say simply...you need an actual separator like the CV or any other real dust collection system...not a vacuum system. Plastic or steel doesn't matter. With the plastic you can see what's going on. With any hand sanding or something similar I would recommend an APR of sorts to aid you in those situations.

Good luck, interested to hear where you land.

Nick

I recommend the ClearView or the 5hp Oneida.
    I saved a huge amount of money and build a Bill Pentz cyclone from his plans. I had a local sheetmetal shop cut, bend and roll the pieces for me for a very reasonable cost. I still was a lot of work though.
    Exhaust outside if at all possible instead of using filters (can't get any cleaner)
    Much better than a roll around system if you don't have permanently stationary tools is to plumb 6 inch pvc around your ceiling and have several drops with blast gates throughout your shop and 6 inch flex hose.

I just rec’d the month end “7% first time buyer discount” from Harvey. Selling my 1.5 hp Grizzly cyclone my wife insisted I buy it I, sob, sold my big Orange power tool over the weekend, so a relatively painless purchase. The Grizzly has done fine for me, but man, the noise. As well in a small footprint shop, the horiz configuration is a real bonus. Harvey agreed to hold shipping until 2/20 when we move in. Looking forward to getting into the new place and figuring out the lay-out. Harvey were very good to deal with.

I think that's where I'm torn on the Harvey setup. I have 12" ceilings in my shop so going vertical is easy and desirable. I feel the Oneida might work better for me as I can hang from the wall and have something more narrow. I'll be investing in a new DC this summer, so maybe Harvey will have something more akin to Oneida at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I feel the Oneida might work better for me as I can hang from the wall and have something more narrow. I'll be investing in a new DC this summer, so maybe Harvey will have something more akin to Oneida at that time?
    I caution anyone who is looking to mount a cyclone dust collector on the wall. If you are mounting this to drywall/framing, it will create a low frequency resonance and turn the entire wall into a subwoofer. You should always get the stand option on these cyclones unless you are mounting it to a concrete wall.

I highly doubt Harvey is going to develop or release a cyclone type dust collector. They are targeting a specific size of machinery and woodworker demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    I caution anyone who is looking to mount a cyclone dust collector on the wall. If you are mounting this to drywall/framing, it will create a low frequency resonance and turn the entire wall into a subwoofer. You should always get the stand option on these cyclones unless you are mounting it to a concrete wall.

I highly doubt Harvey is going to develop or release a cyclone type dust collector. They are targeting a specific size of machinery and woodworker demographic.
    My shop is made with 2x6 walls and is insulated with blown-in insulation, so I think it would be pretty good at sound dampening. My current DC+cyclone is wall mounted and I don't notice anything out of the ordinary. But something to consider, thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    My shop is made with 2x6 walls and is insulated with blown-in insulation, so I think it would be pretty good at sound dampening. My current DC+cyclone is wall mounted and I don't notice anything out of the ordinary. But something to consider, thanks for the comment.
    This has nothing to do with insulation in the walls. These type of walls are made using 2x4 lumber and then drywall screwed onto that (the insulation in between is sometimes optional). The Oneida/Clearvue cyclone dust collectors use 5HP motors that turn a very heavy impeller fan. All this weight moving around causes the entire top part of the cyclone to move at low frequencies. If you bolt this to your standard drywall, it will cause the entire wall to move in-and-out. The drywall is very flexible. The movement of the wall is at a very low frequency (probably around 40-60 hz). The movement of the wall creates bass soundwaves (like a subwoofer) and makes the entire room unpleasant and loud. I experienced it myself with just the duct making contact with the wall.

Watch this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOoPJZsav4s

I just sold my Jet 1.5HP 1100CFM dust collector and received my new Harvey G700 within about 2 hrs of each other. The jet has more power on paper and perhaps could work with 2 machines at once but we are in a small enough shop that only one machine will be operating at a time anyway. It's been this way for 20yrs now and I do not expect it change. I expect the G700 to work as well or better and be quieter and be able to fit under my out-feed table for the TS. My biggest criticism of the G700 is that it does not allow for multiple orientations for dust intake so you have to be thoughtful about where it goes and how everything is plumbed to it. It will take some time but I have some starting point ideas and l am looking forward to using it.