Thread: MM FS30 Smart Chuck Removal Help?

MM FS30 Smart Chuck Removal Help?

So I have a MM FS30 Samrt with a mortising chuck attached. Anyone know how to remove it? Does the chuck come with the mortising attachment or with the J/P?

Derek, unfortunately the Westcott chuck comes with the mortiser. The reason I say unfortunately, is the chuck has a reputation of not being the easiest to remove from the end of the cutterhead.

Just a guess (I have a MM FS 41E), the chuck is a standard right hand thread, so removal is to the left.
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 01-27-2023 at 7:33 PM.

Robert, thank you. Is there a way to lock the cutter head?

Derek, my machine is 2005 vintage, it has no provision for a cutter head lock.

What I wound up doing (and I wasn’t proud about it) was remove one of the set screws from the pulley, install a long m6 cap head screw in the set screws place and place a block of poplar between the frame of the machine and the cap head screw to “lock” the cutterhead. Chucked a really big and long Allen wrench to remove the chuck, still required lots of penetrating oil and tons of foul language to get that chuck off. Best of all, the Westcott chuck removal was only the first hurtle, my quest was to remove the cutterhead to replace the bearings..

Cut off big hex key, grab it wit then chuck and use an impact hammer to unscrew the chuck. I assume this is a drill chuck not a lathe chuck? A drill chuck may have a locking screw down the spout that has to be removed first.
    Bill D.

So the chuck is front mounted, so from what I've researched, it's LH threads, meaning clockwise to loosen, right?

Success! I used a rod against one of keys and hit the rod CW, with a hammer. I didn't hit it hard, just tapped it like an impact driver. Thanks all for he help.

Derek, congratulations… I suggest you run, not walk to buy a lottery ticket, you must be a lucky to get that chuck off that easy, so hence the suggestion for the lottery ticket purchase…