Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s the “Stock market” going to do

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I don't remember any banks making 2% loans. Feds were lending them money for FREE, as in 0% overnight, and they are lending it out at up to 36%. Currently there is no reason to save, spend it while it's worth more. Savings are paying less than 1%, and inflation is a heck of a lot more, plus you get to pay income tax on that 1%. At the end of a year, you savings are worth less than when you put them in.
    Just sold a van that had a loan with the rate of 2.25%. Got the loan 12-2020. Hated to part with it but things changed and did not use it enough to keep. Carvanna did give me $8000 more than I paid for it. had it two years and put 18k miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Just sold a van that had a loan with the rate of 2.25%. Got the loan 12-2020. Hated to part with it but things changed and did not use it enough to keep. Carvanna did give me $8000 more than I paid for it. had it two years and put 18k miles on it.
    Good job Ron!.....Where does carvana stock go from here??? ^ ^ ^

Should go up. Their price on lot for comparable vans was 10+k more than they paid me, and they did not last long on the lot. Never even saw mine advertised online, it did get sold in Michigan according to CarFax, fast.
    Ford Transit vans are in high demand now, were not wanted when I bought it in 2020.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    Good job Ron!.....Where does carvana stock go from here??? ^ ^ ^
    Well Carvana stock had gone from $360 to $7 over the last few years, while they have had negative cash flow of $5 billion, yes billion, over the last three years. Currently they have about $5 billion in debt. Last year they had a loss of $870 million. Not a stock I’m ready to buy.
    Last edited by dennis thompson; 01-29-2023 at 6:52 AM.
    Dennis

My unprofessional opinion is the stock market has more "pain" coming this year. Why? I take Jay Powell and the Fed at their word that the inflation goal is 2%. The Fed's 2022 interest rates hikes have been moving inflation down (from 8 to 6ish %) but that's a long way from the 2% target. They must "hurt" the economy much more to hit that target if they don't change their minds. A hurt economy= higher unemployment, reduced consumer spending, reduced corporate earnings, etc. results in lower stock prices. At the end of 2023, hope I can look back at this post and see I was totally wrong.

Well, the [sort of] bright side to a down market is that at the end of the year you can write off your losses (provided they aren't sheltered... which most of mine are :-p...)

Blog Entries
    I have always been too much of a simpleton to understand investing but I am thinking about spending all of my Menard's funny money on 2X4's. I think I have enough disguises to make it through the check out line ten times. (It would be a good way to get the price to go down to .99 cents) Two years ago 2X4's were $10.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 4.28.25 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-04-2023 at 6:42 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Two of my favorite quotes about investing are.....
    Far more money has been lost by investors in preparing for corrections, or anticipating corrections, than has been lost in the corrections themselves.” Peter Lynch

"I do not know of anybody who has done market timing successfully. I don't even know anybody who knows anybody who has done it successfully and consistently." (Jack Bogle)

My mortgage is through a co-op. I am both a stock holder and a customer. The interest rate is slightly higher, but at the end of the year, if they make money, 16 months later, normally April, they send out a refund of interest paid. Last April, we got a refund of $4,400, approximately half the interest we paid in during the year 2020. I have been with these folks for almost 20 years. When I needed a loan to buy farm equipment, I called and spoke to the loan officer for about 2 minutes. The next day in the mail I had a check for the amount. When interest rates were up sort of high, ten years ago, I called and asked about refinancing. No need, she said, For payment equal to a half a percent of your loan balance, you can "buy down" the interest to the current market rate. She sent the papers, which I signed and returned with the check. In addition to the refund of interest, a small percentage of profit goes into a fund to increase the assets, the fund from which loans are made. So that percentage increases the value of my stock. In 20 years, they made a profit every year. I don't know what the operating costs may be, but they do not have checking accounts, etc to lose money on or to pay for electronic processing of checks. Nor do they have 20 branches. There is one..