Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s the “Stock market” going to do

Blog Entries

What’s the “Stock market” going to do

When I eat lunch I’ll often watch CNBC where there will be four or five professional money managers in discussion. I find that their commentary when discussing individual stocks to be interesting and informative.
    But discussions of what the “ market” is going to do, over the short term are, in my opinion,( for what it’s worth) not helpful. You will often hear one of the participants give a perfectly logical explanation of why the “ market” is going up, while another will give a perfectly logical explanation of why the “market” is going down.
    As Michael Price, a very successful money manager, when asked what the “market” was going to do, said “ I have no idea, all I can do is try to pick out good stocks” amen to that.
    Dennis

IMO the stock market is at the whim of geopolitical events, changes in technologies, and consumer preferences that no one can predict. Diversification in low cost funds and a long term outlook is the only approach that makes sense to me.

I love it when they roll out an "Expert" who predicted the last crash or bull market and ask him what will happen next year. How about bringing out all the experts who got it wrong and grilling their bacon!?

I used to love John Stossel, who would every year throw darts at a board with stocks on them and they would beat the "expert money managers" in performance over the next year. Burton Malkiel did it once with a blindfolded monkey.

Warren Buffet did it with a $1,000,000 bet that money managers could beat the S&P500. No one has taken his money. All the "professionals" did worse.

This is why Jack Bogle is probably the single person who made people the most money in the history of the stock market by inventing Index Funds for Vanguard.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Warren Buffet did it with a $1,000,000 bet that money managers could beat the S&P500. No one has taken his money. All the "professionals" did worse.
    *After fees and costs. Also past performance is no indication of future performance. What happens when everybody is in passive index funds? Not throwing shade, I've got a lot of money in index funds, but I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next 10 years. We can't all be passively trading stocks, because you can't have the tail (passive) wag the dog (active). If you do, then there is no price discovery.

Blog Entries
    Some blasts from the past on "how the markets will perform."

Pierpont Morgan, when asked by a brash young investor for a forecast about how the market would go, Morgan glared down his generously endowed nose, bristled his mustache, and replied: “It will fluctuate, young man. It will fluctuate.”

George Bernard Shaw, "If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion."

If all the economists were laid end to end they would still all be pointing in different directions. -Anon

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And then there was the [Reddit group] WallStreetBets and the GameStop short squeeze ......
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-27-2023 at 6:17 PM.

It will probably go up over the next 10-20 years, it will fluctuate a lot in the meantime.

I don't think anybody can tell someone accurately how the market is going to react. A lot of the ups and downs are due to the lack of confidence by people invested in the market, IMO. I think that having the market accessible online by people who consider themselves day traders adds to the volatility. I have stocks and bonds that I have faith in and just let them ride. In the long run, years ago I got more out of my investments than I ever invested. I am not an expert, and I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the market either.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I knew when they passed laws allowing people to invest their own money with supposed tax advantages that the stock market would be a sure thing. MANY people want to put money n every paycheck. It has been for those of us who get in and out as we see fit, and don't try to "save" money. I'm not in to make an investment. I'm in and out to make money. I pay absolutely no attention to whatever any "expert" says, and don't even know what the titles are that some of those "experts" go by.

That's all I'm going to say about it. I play my own game.

I dabble a little in day trading and do OK with some help. The current market seems to be all about what the "experts" think the Fed will do or won't do.

I read a recent article about the Fed policy and interest rates. I am no economist but this article made some sense to me. The gist of it was; notwithstanding all the angst about the recession threat the Fed has been keeping interest rates at an artificial and unrealistic (near zero) low for a long time. People have come to accept these low rates as the norm. We don't want to see the double-digit rates we saw in the 80s but we may see a shift in monetary policy that will have rates that are more in line with where they should be. Until the market comes to terms with that reality we will continue to see a lot of volatility.
    Regards,

Kris

I think it's a well known truism that economists are better at explaining what happened, than they are at predicting the future. The economist I listen to regularly scrupulously stays away from investment advice
    < insert spurious quote here >

The reason the stock market is so hard to predict? As soon as a discernible pattern emerges, someone (a hedge fund, a professional investor, etc.) moves to exploit it, obliterating the pattern.

I forget where I heard that but it makes sense to me. And if you believe that, then it also calls into question anyone who wants your money to share their “stock market secrets” including fund managers as noted earlier.

Want a better way to make money? Don’t bet on the stock market - bet on yourself. Develop an angle, then start or buy a business, grow it, sell it. That way you can load the deck in your favor.

Don’t know how? Go work for someone who does and learn from them. As a bonus, that mentor can become your first investor.

I have read that. 2% interest rate is the minimum for a bank to break even on a loan. Cost of doing business, paperwork, bad loans etc. So bank rates of under 2% were never sustainable.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have read that. 2% interest rate is the minimum for a bank to break even on a loan. Cost of doing business, paperwork, bad loans etc. So bank rates of under 2% were never sustainable.
    BilL D
    I don't remember any banks making 2% loans. Feds were lending them money for FREE, as in 0% overnight, and they are lending it out at up to 36%. Currently there is no reason to save, spend it while it's worth more. Savings are paying less than 1%, and inflation is a heck of a lot more, plus you get to pay income tax on that 1%. At the end of a year, you savings are worth less than when you put them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    This is why Jack Bogle is probably the single person who made people the most money in the history of the stock market by inventing Index Funds for Vanguard.
    I've tried to spend the time to get educated enough to pick stocks. But it just doesn't interest me. I'd rather spend it doimng other things.

So, I just do the Bogle three fund method and pretty much forget about it.