Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reading milk labels

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Wow, thanks SMC for the unintended education. I drink a lot of tea and had no idea that it is high in oxalate. I avoid spinach for that reason (well, not the only reason) but was cutting back on coffee and soda by drinking tea. Kidney stones scare the heck out of me.
    For all you iced tea drinkers** (and non-English way of drinking tea with milk) adding lemon*** helps mitigate the nasty kidney stone effects of tea.

Lemon juice in tea
    (Other advice in there too)

** I don't drink Iced tea unless there's no [drinkable] water available. Hot only, year-round (even when it's 115F)
    *** When I'm sick (see earlier post) and add rum/brandy to tea instead of milk, I also add lemon juice as much for taste as for medcial reason.

Freezing homogenized milk causes it to separate when thawed. The Cream will rise to the top and the skim milk below it does not last as long.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I drink it the way the Brits do...with a splash of milk**...(2% or full fat***)

And the milk offsets the oxalate in black tea which (in large amounts) can cause kidney stones.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12627177/.
    Tea with milk better for you than tea without milk

Also I eat mostly low oxalate foods (except for Oreos, but if you dunk them in milk then it's OK )
    So far no problems.... knock on (what else?) wood. '

**Except when I'm sick, and the thought of consuming any dairy makes me gag.
    So I put rum or brandy in the tea instead.

*** I also learned from my Brit roomie that you don't put cream in tea...it's always milk.
    Cream is so "flavor heavy" that it overwhelms the flavor
    of the tea.
    Now being diplomatic …after a one divorce and memories of school yard scraps , and really wanting an Ambassador job, to any peaceful country, I use half and half ! In hot tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Interestingly, I freeze all the milk I buy when I get it home. Then defrost it in the fridge a few days before I need it. I find that the milk lasts far longer refrigerated that way. Not sure why, but the difference is VERY noticeable. I almost never have milk go bad anymore. Used to happen all the time.
    Freezing homogenized milk causes it to separate when it thaws. the cream will rise to the top.

I did not know that black tea can contribute to kidney stones. I drink a lot of tea - probably 2-3 gallons a week, and have for 20+ years now. I've never had a stone. My maternal grandmother had several in her lifetime and once told me that it was the worst pain imagineable. She wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy.

We drink around 2 gallons of milk a week at our house (3 adults). We prefer 2%. I drank 1% for a while in an attempt to cut down on calories, as the extra 1% milkfat adds about 20 calories to an 8 ounce glass. I've since decided that the extra flavor is worth the extra calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I did not know that black tea can contribute to kidney stones. I drink a lot of tea - probably 2-3 gallons a week, and have for 20+ years now. I've never had a stone. My maternal grandmother had several in her lifetime and once told me that it was the worst pain imagineable. She wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy.

We drink around 2 gallons of milk a week at our house (3 adults)
    . We prefer 2%. I drank 1% for a while in an attempt to cut down on calories, as the extra 1% milkfat adds about 20 calories to an 8 ounce glass. I've since decided that the extra flavor is worth the extra calories.
    That is probably why you haven't had kidney stones (congrats on that).
    And I agree with you on the 2% being the lowest fat content I'll drink.
    I nearly gagged when I drank skim milk the first (and only) time.
    Even now just looking at it being poured (that bluish tint) kind of makes me gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Now being diplomatic …after a one divorce and memories of school yard scraps , and really wanting an Ambassador job, to any peaceful country, I use half and half ! In hot tea.
    HAHA.... I like Half and Half in coffee (that I rarely drink but still like very much) and so, despite what roomie said, I tried it in tea.
    But all I could really taste was the cream... the tea flavor got kind of lost. Maybe it was just the power of suggestion working, but I decided she was right and went back to milk.
    And several years later I was in Scotland for a month (rode all over the place on my bike which I took with me) nowhere did anyone serve tea with cream (or H-and-H).
    I was always asked if I wanted it black or with milk. When I asked if it was ever drunk with cream, there was always a hesitancy and then "Well, no... but I can bring you cream if you prefer that."
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-31-2023 at 7:15 PM.

Well, Scotland is not known for following English ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Well, Scotland is not known for following English ways.
    ..as the ghost of William Wallace can attest
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-01-2023 at 3:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    So my Scoutmaster way back when, was from England and served in the British Navy during WWII. He said soldiers trying to dodge the draft there would pack tea leaves in their arm pits to create a higher than acceptable heart rate. I never heard or read that anywhere else though.
    Sheesh, I got to take meds to just to speed up the ticker. W/o the meds the HR is in the high 40's. with the meds in the 60's.