Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading milk labels

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    HA! Only two gallons??? Piker!
    I make two gallons every Wed and then again on Saturday. (and unsweetened also)
    I guess you guys don’t worry about kidney stones.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

HA! Only two gallons??? Piker!
    I make two gallons every Wed and then again on Saturday. (and unsweetened also)
    4 gallons a week just for you? I am not worthy. Actually I think these big Tupperware pitchers might be 1 & 1/2 gallon each but even then you are out of my league.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    4 gallons a week just for you? I am not worthy. Actually I think these big Tupperware pitchers might be 1 & 1/2 gallon each but even then you are out of my league.
    When I first moved to AZ about 40 years ago, I roomed with an English woman. She drank tea. A lot.
    I had never drunk it, not iced, not hot, not tepid. When she found I never drank tea she was stunned.
    Had I told her I tried it but didn't like it, she probably would have been appalled as well as stunned.
    Anyway, I learned how to PROPERLY make tea (there is the correct way, and then all the other ways ).
    And I found I liked it. A lot. So I drink water and unsweetened tea (and 2% milk on my cereal** )
    And you know, 4 gallons per week is only a little more than 1/2 gallon per day... and that's not a whole lot.

CFSB.jpeg
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-29-2023 at 9:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I guess you guys don’t worry about kidney stones.
    I drink it the way the Brits do...with a splash of milk**...(2% or full fat***)

And the milk offsets the oxalate in black tea which (in large amounts) can cause kidney stones.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12627177/.
    Tea with milk better for you than tea without milk

Also I eat mostly low oxalate foods (except for Oreos, but if you dunk them in milk then it's OK )
    So far no problems.... knock on (what else?) wood. '

**Except when I'm sick, and the thought of consuming any dairy makes me gag.
    So I put rum or brandy in the tea instead.

*** I also learned from my Brit roomie that you don't put cream in tea...it's always milk.
    Cream is so "flavor heavy" that it overwhelms the flavor of the tea.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-30-2023 at 4:51 AM.

And the milk offsets the oxalate in black tea which (in large amounts) can cause kidney stones.

Also I eat mostly low oxalate foods (except for Oreos, but if you dunk them in milk then it's OK )

*** I also learned from my Brit roomie that you don't put cream in tea...it's always milk.
    Having had three painful kidney stones, and initially drinking lots of diet iced tea as my urologist had suggested drinking lots of liquid, after my third kidney stone he was appalled that I was drinking tea. He told me that the South is the kidney "Stone Belt" of the US (North Carolina residents have the most. A 15% chance for a white male to develop kidney stones in his lifetime, which is amazingly high).

Haven't had any tea since. And reading that study, it looks to me that just drinking milk and skipping the tea altogether would be better still if you had a history of oxalate kidney stones.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Patty, love your sense of humor! Best, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Having had three painful kidney stones.... And reading that study, it looks to me that just drinking milk and skipping the tea altogether would be better still if you had a history of oxalate kidney stones.
    Fer shure, fer shure. Medical history/risk factors etc are always a big part of the "what can I safely consume?" equation.

(But then this little voice 'way inside always reminds me: "Eat Right, exercise, die anyway." )

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Patty, love your sense of humor! Best, Patrick
    -----------

Milk Labels: When did you last go to the beach and see at least one guy with two tattoos on his upper chest ? Sweet and Sour and Hot
    and Cold were both popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Milk Labels: When did you last go to the beach and see at least one guy with two tattoos on his upper chest ? Sweet and Sour and Hot
    and Cold were both popular.
    ...Gross :-p

Patty, I want to assure you that I didn’t make that up. Be assured the style is no longer popular ; but ,yes it could come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Patty, I want to assure you that I didn’t make that up. Be assured the style is no longer popular ; but ,yes it could come back.
    Oh Mel.... I'm not offended, except in the "High school girl" sense, as in "eeewwwww"!
    No harm done, it's all good.

Wow, thanks SMC for the unintended education. I drink a lot of tea and had no idea that it is high in oxalate. I avoid spinach for that reason (well, not the only reason) but was cutting back on coffee and soda by drinking tea. Kidney stones scare the heck out of me.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Wow, thanks SMC for the unintended education. I drink a lot of tea and had no idea that it is high in oxalate. I avoid spinach for that reason (well, not the only reason) but was cutting back on coffee and soda by drinking tea. Kidney stones scare the heck out of me.
    I had not heard that . I drink 8 tea-bags of oolong tea every day. When I was young , every time I drank a cup of coffee I got a heart-beat of 140.
    Saw heart doctor and he told me to stop drinking coffee. That’s what I was thinking, but it’s good to get a “second opinion”.

So my Scoutmaster way back when, was from England and served in the British Navy during WWII. He said soldiers trying to dodge the draft there would pack tea leaves in their arm pits to create a higher than acceptable heart rate. I never heard or read that anywhere else though.