Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welding A Bandsaw Blade

It just dawned on me - won't making a scarf joint on a broken blade shorten the length of the blade making it unusable?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    It just dawned on me - won't making a scarf joint on a broken blade shorten the length of the blade making it unusable?
    Bandsaws tend to have a "range" for band length where the typical band length is what it is. So if your saw take, for example, a 105" blade off the commercial shelf, slightly shorter or slightly longer will generally work just fine. Longer does increase the risk of not being able to tension it enough if you push too far in that direction and too short can make for a difficult install. In a roundabout way, what this means is that when you do the repair, you likely are not taking away very much material to establish that scarf joint so it should be fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Depends on the original blade length and how much range is in the saw tensioner. If the blade was made on the short side to start with it may be a problem. I once bought a new blade I couldn’t tension since it was made just barely too long and couldn’t be tensioned on my 18” Rikon - I counted an extra tooth.

If you end up with a blade too short you might be able to cut out a shot section and weld in a piece cut from another blade. The blade shop I use keeps a box of short pieces to add as needed. Having two or more welds on one blade doesn’t affect the performance or blade life.

One thing I don’t remember discussed is when a blade breaks or jams while sawing it may get bent up a little, especially at one end. Straightening one sufficiently for a smooth-running blade can be difficult or even seem impossible at times but replacing the bent section can fix it - a good reason to keep the leftover end if you buy blade stock by the reel.

JKJ

Be careful of the onboar d welders. The welding process can throw hot sparks as does the grinding. If they land in sawdust it can catch fire, hours later, in the base of the saw or where ever.
    BilL D

Maybe shorten the blade 1/8". It's no problem. Now a kink from the blade getting stuck in the machine is a deal killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Be careful of the onboard welders. The welding process can throw hot sparks as does the grinding. If they land in sawdust it can catch fire, hours later, in the base of the saw or where ever.
    BilL D
    Good reminder! Playing with fire around combustibles could cause a disaster. In possible enlist a fire watcher when cutting and welding. Even an abrasive cutoff wheel can start a fire feet away.

Never hurts to remind although I suspect there are few bandsaws with welders in wood shops. And most people whoare aware and careful. Some have mentioned they only make fire outside. I built a 12x12' welding room into my wood shop with grinders, hydraulic press, horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw, welders, plasma cutter, good vise. The double doors open onto a 16' concrete pad for working outside when the weather's good or working on trailers or tractor in the driveway.

I have stick, mig, and tig but never thought about tig welding a blade - good idea, Steve, about heating with no filler needed. Might have to try it if one breaks, can always drop back to sliver soldering or brazing if needed. Easy to anneal steel.

JKJ