Thread: Finally found one!!

Finally found one!!

I've been looking for a coping plane of this size and profile for years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385393596398

Wow, it does truly look unused. Remarkable for a ca. 175 year old plane. Not a wood plane guy, but I’m curious as to what it is about that particular profile that you’ve been on the holy grail search for so long?

I also would like to know. Can one be made at home using similar wood today. Also not a wood plane person.

I do exact reproduction work on old museum houses. On my When You Get Around to It list, I've needed to make four replacement sash for this 1850 house. All are original except the four on the back, which are 20th Century cope and stick that don't even come close to matching the originals.

With only four to make, it's not worth spending a couple of grand on custom cutters for 4 grand worth of sash. I make small numbers by hand, and usually use a jewelers saw for the copes. These 9-lites have a Bunch of copes to make, and I've been putting off the job because I don't really want to make that many copes with a jewelers saw.

I've had the parts rough milled for several years. I just happened to look at ebay today, and saw this Coping Plane. I contacted the seller to post a couple of pictures with a ruler. As soon as he sent me those pics, the decision was quickly made.

The picture of the multiples of sash is of replacements for missing ones in a 1798 house that I did eleven years ago with custom cutters, and other hand work.

I already have cylinder glass panes cut for these four and another old sash plane that I did a bit of re-profiling on to match these sash.

Picture of the one on the easel is one of the originals I completely redid just included to show the size of the ones I need to build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-05-2023 at 7:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great find Tom, it is sure to be handy for future builds of multi-light windows.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I also would like to know. Can one be made at home using similar wood today. Also not a wood plane person.
    They can be made, but not worth the time I would have to put into making one. I have a Long to-do list, so take advantage of things that come up. I don't do any hobby woodworking.