Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baldor grinder $775 on Craigslist

I purchased a Wen grinder a few years back - have been very impressed at how good it has been for such a low price. If it was a daily production tool then I would have chosen a high end product. 5 stars so far.

I have a couple of Rockwell 7" grinders from the early 1970's, one single phase & the other a 200 volt 3 phase, sweet machines that cannot be replaced new today, plus a few Baldors, & a JC Penney 6" made by Baldor, all of them are better then the throwaway garbage sold today by everyone other then ABB/Baldor.

I saw a cheap China made grinder taken apart. The motor case looked like a normal 3/4Hp or so size. Inside the actual motor was several inches in diameter smaller with very long extended shaft lengths inside the case. Probably a good 1.5" air gap between the outside of the coil and the inside of the case all around. And 2-3 inches of shaft between the rotor and the bearing on each end.
    Maytag used to put concrete weights in their washing machines to impress the buyers with their heavy solid construction.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I saw a cheap China made grinder taken apart. The motor case looked like a normal 3/4Hp or so size. Inside the actual motor was several inches in diameter smaller with very long extended shaft lengths inside the case. Probably a good 1.5" air gap between the outside of the coil and the inside of the case all around. And 2-3 inches of shaft between the rotor and the bearing on each end.
    Maytag used to put concrete weights in their washing machines to impress the buyers with their heavy solid construction.
    Bill D
    Or maybe the concrete was to dampen vibrations from an unbalanced load. I know some of our members here recommend doing the same thing with a lathe.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

remember the original ibm pc keyboard?
    Bob C