Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Max Mortising Attachment?

Mini Max Mortising Attachment?

I have an FS30 Smart with a mortising attachment. I never use the mortiser and was wondering what it's value is. I tried searching it online, but couldn't find a new price for one. Any idea on its value? By the way, this is not a veiled attempt at a sale as I would not list it here, because it's too heavy to ship.

Derek, FWIW, I have a Robland mortiser that I bought with my J/P a long time ago. I never ended up using it so tried selling mine and there were no takers. I have concluded that these mortisers are a hard sell, especially as the cost to ship, as you say, is so high, and prospective buyers are so far and few between.

You might drop a note to Sam Blasco as he might know/remember what the original cost for that might be. They did go for some coin. I never opted for one for my FS350 due to both space (had to mount to the back on my machine) and not really doing that kind of joinery much.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The similar attachment for a hammer j/p is >$1000. I think the Domino has also lowered the value of that type of mortiser. Good luck!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I have the original sales sheet for mine, in the shop. I can grab it later this evening. I seem to recall the combo of the mortising attachment, chuck and bit set was over $1000 new (as suggested above on my FS35 Smart.) I have used mine and it works amazingly well. My Domino XL has kept me from doing much with it since I picked that up. I will post a pic of the sales slip, once I am in the shop.
    Last edited by Robert Tarr; 01-27-2023 at 11:35 AM.

I have a Mini Max that needs the motor replaced, have a new motor for it. Got a mortising attachment for it also. I believe it hangs off of two bolts on the side. I need the chuck and bits, any suggestions on where to get them at? Long term project as I get back on my feet from operations last year. Think it will be interesting to try it and probably my go to option for mortising. Not happy with my bench top machine. Looking forward to having a 12" jointer. It ios sitting it its spot in the basement and dust collection is hooked up, just need to mount and wire motor then attach the mortiser. Welcome any tips and advice.
    Ron

I had one that came with my Minimax CU300 combo. Never used it and sold it for $400-$500 several years ago. With Domino never felt the need for it.

I paid ~$1300, so there is some value. I heard the interest in them fell off with options like the domino (as others have noted), however, if you want to make a larger mortise for an integral tennon, I think its still a good option. I eliminated my hollow chisel mortiser to use it instead. Yet to be seen how valuable it will be (still working on installing chuck), but I think it will still be valuable (maybe not as much as a panto router..).

Thanks all for the help. I've zeroed in to a fair price for it.

Is the chuck generally part of the mortiser or part of the j/p? And if it should go with the mortiser, how is it removed?
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 01-27-2023 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Need to add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Is the chuck generally part of the mortiser or part of the j/p? And if it should go with the mortiser, how is it removed?
    Mortiser. There's no other function for the chuck than with the mortiser attachment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Derek, there are some threads here regarding the westcott chuck removal. I gather that it is a standard thread (lefty loosey), but you may have some difficulty removing it. Penetrating oil, lots of heat, very long bars, improvised locking for the cutter head, etc. Good luck

Here's the chuck...could this a LH thread? The cutter head is turning clockwise...

Apparently I was wrong about the thread direction. I did read here about one machine that was standard thread but LH thread makes more sense.

Success! I removed the chuck by basically tapping on the it with a hammer like an impact driver. Doing this, I didn't have to tap very hard and I didn't have to lock the cutter in any way. It is a LH thread.