Thread: History and one view of the metric system

History and one view of the metric system

Being that discussions about the use of the metric system can create a lively discussion, perhaps some will find this article interesting and entertaining. The site is UK oriented science & technology oriented but some of the 639(!) comments I found interesting.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/...td=keepreading

In 1793, French scientist Joseph Dombey sailed for the newly formed United States at the request of Thomas Jefferson carrying two objects that could have changed America. He never made it, and now the US is stuck with a retro version of measurement that is unique in the modern world.

That was indeed an interesting read...and I kinda agree with the dude. But then again, I've been a fan of metric for a few years now in my shop. Of course, I also favor the 24 hour clock, despite never having served in the military. I'm "weird" like that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like the metric system because it makes everything feel bigger and more exciting and precise. For instance yesterday I took a walk of approximately 2 million millimeters, and a mile and a quarter seems pretty tame by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I like the metric system because it makes everything feel bigger and more exciting and precise. For instance yesterday I took a walk of approximately 2 million millimeters, and a mile and a quarter seems pretty tame by comparison.
    And apparently after that galactic journey you were home for dinner. Amazing!!!!

Interesting and informative read. Thanks for linking.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Thanks for posting

Interesting article. I agree the transition takes time, perhaps generations to complete. Canada went metric in thte 80's and yet today there are still remnants of the Imperial system around today, perhaps because many of us old farts were educated in the Imperial system and were in our 30's when the switch was made, perhaps because our biggest trading partner is still using the Imperial system.

I lived in England when we switched our currency to metric. It didn't take long to adopt once you had no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Of course, I also favor the 24 hour clock, despite never having served in the military.
    Wait, there's another way to tell time!!! (just shy of 36 yrs in the Air Force prior to retiring a couple years ago.)

My high school son and I were just discussing this topic yesterday, so good timing. I'll pass this on to him. He had read FDR tried to change the US to the metric system during his presidency. Final decision came down to it would be too expensive to convert mile markers to kilometer markers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    Wait, there's another way to tell time!!! (just shy of 36 yrs in the Air Force prior to retiring a couple years ago.)
    Yea. My range hood doesn't understand 24 hour time, however, but the induction range does. Seriously, it sure would reduce ambiguity!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you for posting that. In Canada, officially we "went" metric many years ago. In fact, we are far from it in practice - at least as concerns woodworking. We still buy 1 1/2" long screws, 4 x 8 sheets of MDF, 2 x 4's 8 feet long. Our sockets may well be 10mm, but the drive is still 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". And finally, we measure barometric pressure in kilopascals. I believe that only Canada and France use that one, Metric countries use millebars - or "bars" for short.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON