Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Template Routing Question

Obviously if you're afraid of the technique you shouldn't use it. I do a lot of template routing using climb cuts. But, there are rules to make it safe. First, and most impoortant, I cut a bare minimum with the router. I use a pattern guide on the band saw with the same template as I'm going to route to, to get the initial cut as close as possible to the final shape - rarely would I ever leave more than 1/16", and I shoot for and generally achieve less. Second, I use either a spiral flush trim bit, or an angles/shear cutting flush trim bit on the router. Third, I make sure I have plenty of mass in my template/workpiece combination, and good holds. Kickback when routing climb cuts is all about how much force the cutting bit develops relative to the mass and stability of the workpiece. These three things (minimum cut depth, shear cut, mass) put the equation in your favor.

Well I patched up the pieces and bandsawed as close as i dared. Then I took 3-4 VERY light climb cuts around the outside curve that was causing the problem and all is right with the world. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to buy a compression bit but needed to get this done in a hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Well I patched up the pieces and bandsawed as close as i dared. Then I took 3-4 VERY light climb cuts around the outside curve that was causing the problem and all is right with the world. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to buy a compression bit but needed to get this done in a hurry!
    That's great that you succeeded. Would you mind posting a photo of your setup?
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-27-2023 at 3:37 PM.

Cut closer to the line so there is less to route. A spiral bit with bearing should solve most if not all of your problems. I have gone against the grain with no problems.

Thanks for this post. I'm working on a curved leg project with a template and the information within helped me. Cut my pieces on the band saw reduce them at the oscillating sander and finish them with the template on the router table. Brian
    Brian

I personally don't like going from the sander to the rt. The abrasive (I feel) dulls the router bit. If you make a template guide for the bandsaw, you can easily get under 1/16 of waste material for your rt to handle.

Unless you are doing a production run, bandsaw then hand tools