Thread: Blades for SawStop Cabinet Saws

Blades for SawStop Cabinet Saws

Can the blades from any saw blade manufacturer be used on a SawStop cabinet saw? I would not want to use non-SawStop blade if that interfered with the safety features.

Sawstop recommends avoiding blades with anti kickback shoulders.

Some good information here regarding blades and dado sets

https://www.trentdavis.net/wp/2018/0...sawstop-links/

Yes, you can, in general. Jay is correct that one should avoid blades with the anti-kickback feature and there can also be an issue with some blades if they are more than a certain amount undersized. I used 10" Forrest blades on the PCS I had in my temporary gara-shop while working the build of the new shop. A Freud blade was on it when I bought (and later sold) that saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jay and Jim, thanks for your good information. I had reviewed SawStop's website for any information about using other brands of saw blades but did not see the issue addressed. Certainly, wouldn't make sense to buy SawStop and install a blade that defeats the safety feature. Again thanks!

Agreed with what is already said. I use Freud blades for single blades and I use Sawstop’s dado set.

Reading about the Freud blades made me go look at the SS page on blades because my initial thought was any coated blade may inhibit electrical conductivity. Here is the official info from SawStop on blades if anyone wants to read it.

https://www.sawstop.com/why-sawstop/faqs/

Seems like a quick check with an multi meter would determine if there is a nonconductive coating on the teeth of the blade. I'm not sure what blades would have this coating but they cover it in the Q and A so there obviously are some.

You can touch the blade, obviously not while spinning , and see the detection light blink. Freud blades I use work just fine and trigger the sensor.

Can second that the Freud Glueline blades will trigger the SawStop in the advent of the owner being an idiot and sticking his finger in the wrong place with the saw active.

If your blade is too small in diameter (perhaps after sharpening) the saw won't start up. I have one that was sharpened by Ridge Carbide who did an excellent job but it won't work on my PCS. If I put it on I just get blinking lights. I mainly use Freud blades. Best bang for the buck IMHO.