Thread: Makita 98202 sharpener

Makita 98202 sharpener

Like so many of us, I have too many tools and it's time to sell the things that don't get much use. This is an excellent sharpener in little-used condition that deserves a better home.. It includes 4 wheels; 2-1000, 1-60 and 1-6000 grit. Also includes optional scissors attachment.
    Price for all today would be about $1000.00. I'm asking for $400.00 plus shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1328.heic.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	494152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1331.heic.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	494153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1332.heic.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	494154  

Hi Bill,
    I have had this same sharpener for many years and had never seen the scissors attachment before. Do you remember where you bought it or happen to have the part number?
    Thanks,
    Rick

Highland woodworking still sells their chisel and plane iron jig as well for this machine. Works great.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...ndtooljig.aspx

I’m curious as well Rick, I’ve never see the scissors attachment. I’d love to have it.

Can you post a picture of how the scissors attachment works? Very interested for my sharpening sink.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-31-2023 at 3:50 PM.

I really don't remember where I got it, probably from the dealer whereI bought. To be honest, I have never used it.
    I also have the plane iron and chisel jig for it.

I love my “Mudslinger”. I just have to put up a shower curtain around the sink or take it outside at the new shop. My old shop had a horizontal splatter line at the height of the wheel behind the bench.

The Makita 98202 is the best and only practical sharpener for a home shop for planer and jointer knives. Before I bought a jointer and planer with helical cutters, it was regularly used. I even sharpened “disposable” planer blades for the Delta bench top planer. It is a bit more trouble to set up accurately for chisels and handplane blades. It is far safer for the blade’s temper than an electric grinder for regrinding a primary bevel.

I will be getting mine out today to regrind a chisel than had an unfortunate encounter with a nail. Sounds like Bill is offering everything you need to wet grind.

I also own this same model sharpener. It is the best way to sharpen planer and jointer blades that I know of, had mine for probably 20 years. There are couple of quick tips to learn to get the best performance, a friend of mine gave me a quick training lesson when I purchased mine in fact he was the one who recommended this sharpener to me.

Like others I have never seen or known that there is a scissor sharpening attachment.

I'd love to part with this sharpener. I've converted to helical heads on my jointer and planer so I haven't used it in ages. How about $350? Or a reasonable offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Geyer View Post
    I'd love to part with this sharpener. I've converted to helical heads on my jointer and planer so I haven't used it in ages. How about $350? Or a reasonable offer.
    I'd like to buy it. PM sent.
    Rick

Sale pending. Thanks

If anyone else wants one similarly outfitted (no scissors attachment) for the same price PM me for pictures.

Sharpener is sold.