Thread: Using a mirror to improve box joint cuts on router table

Using a mirror to improve box joint cuts on router table

This technique might be of interest to some so I've decided to post it. I've started using an inexpensive shaving mirror to reflect the business side of my box joint jig on the router table so that I can monitor the action without leaning forward over the board being machined. It has greatly improved my accuracy and, because I can see where my fingers are at all times, my safety. This idea is not original with me, but I can't remember where I first saw it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

Good idea, thanks! I cut box joints on the table saw, but this would work for my router dovetail jig.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I came up with something similar to train myself not to cut the back side too deep when cutting dovetails. It really helped.

20210114_150245.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Thanks Paul and Bill. I have a low-end Leigh dovetail jig I've never used, but if I do I'll try the mirror trick. I currently do dovetails by hand (my best ones look like they were cut by a clumsy badger wielding a garden spade) and next time I'll try a mirror to practice cutting to the baseline. I currently spend a bunch of time leaning forward to peer over the board being cut.
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Dale View Post
    ...........I currently spend a bunch of time leaning forward to peer over the board being cut.
    exactly why I thought of the mirror.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

look like they were cut by a clumsy badger wielding a garden spade

Some of mine could have been better made with a handgun at 30 paces, but with a little wood paste they look ,,,,well not so good actually