Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another what is it thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Yeah, I can imagine disposing of what was left was pretty offal.
    Groan.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by lee schierer View Post
    groan.....
    -----
    ---------
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-26-2023 at 7:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    John, those kids will remember their visits! Their education includes a glimpse of reality. I heard that McDonald's has engineered a square potato. Where the nuggets come from is still a messy mystery (I hope).
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Bugs smaller than a crawdad are not included. I have had a locust with a little honey. No thanks on seconds.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I’ve had numerous Farm Days when a group of kindergartners and parents spend the day here: pet a horse, take a llama for a walk, collect eggs from the chicken house, pick a carrot and eat it, get stung by honeybee (optional). I can’t forget when one kid asked where the nuggets were on a chicken.

When our layers get tired of laying and it’s time for a new flock several times I have invited a couple of families with kids to come for chicken slaughtering afternoon. The kids learn where their meat really comes from and the details of the process. They usually get into feather plucking contests. Afterwards they learn what it takes to clean up and return the unwanted parts to the earth. The families go home with fresh chicken in the cooler and enough to put in the freezer. A good education.

JKJ
    I grew up on a chicken farm. I've killed and plucked a lot of chickens. I'll add a comment to John's post. Chickens that you can fry the meat - like Kentucky Fried Chicken - are very young. Back then, fryers were ready for market at 8 weeks and now I hear it's 6 weeks.

Chickens that have been layers and are a year old can only be used as stewing hens. The meat would be too tough if fried.

Baby chicks are sexed at the hatchery and farms that raise them for eggs only want hens. But half the chicks hatched are male and the other half are female. Have you ever thought what happens to those male chicks?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Yup. When I was a kid on the farm our annual chicken butchering got to be too much for me and Dad (mostly Dad) to do by ourselves. We found an old gal North of us that would butcher for $0.25 a bird (it was about 1975). She had one of those mounted on a pedestal grinder/buffer motor. It made short work of it. It took her about 3 minutes a bird from the swing of the hatchet to rinsing and wrapping. What a gory mess!
    Killing and plucking is only about half the process. You still have to "gut" the bird and keep the usable parts - heart, gizzard, liver, neck. It takes a good hand to do this properly. There's a bile sack on the liver and you have to remove that and not puncture it.

Mike

[Wow, that was many, many years ago.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Chickens that have been layers and are a year old can only be used as stewing hens. The meat would be too tough if fried.
    So true, and that’s the hens. For roosters any older than 8 weeks are stew pot also. We once tried frying one a little older. Just tried it once.

My bird nursery is mostly peafowl, guinea, and turkey but when I incubate chicken eggs I get the 50% male chicks of course but I never bothered to sex them. What I do is raise them all together until it’s easy to tell what they are then sell the roosters. They bring a pretty good price when you find the right buyer. (Not nearly as much as young turkeys though!)

I only incubate chickens when friends or I need some. Although they are very easy to sell I’m not the least interested in running a chicken farm!

JKJ

Baby chicks are sexed at the hatchery and farms that raise them for eggs only want hens. But half the chicks hatched are male and the other half are female. Have you ever thought what happens to those male chicks?
    Sorry, I'm a little slow. Are you saying that they're friers, or killed during the sexing process?

Andrew - next visit to the super market - do a quick check for - capons.

Hint: It was so cold last night, the hen had a capon..
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Sorry, I'm a little slow. Are you saying that they're friers, or killed during the sexing process?
    No, the male chicks are not kept or raised. I'll let you do a bit of Googling to find out how the hatcheries deal with the male chicks. It's not pretty.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Andrew - next visit to the super market - do a quick check for - capons.

Hint: It was so cold last night, the hen had a capon..
    The testicles of male chickens are internal. To caponize a rooster requires some surgery and you usually lose a few. That makes capons more expensive.

Mike

[This is assuming you do the caponizing yourself. If you have a vet do it, you won't lose as many (maybe none) but then you'll have some very expensive capons]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-28-2023 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I’ve had numerous Farm Days when a group of kindergartners and parents spend the day here: pet a horse, take a llama for a walk, collect eggs from the chicken house, pick a carrot and eat it, get stung by honeybee (optional). I can’t forget when one kid asked where the nuggets were on a chicken.

When our layers get tired of laying and it’s time for a new flock several times I have invited a couple of families with kids to come for chicken slaughtering afternoon. The kids learn where their meat really comes from and the details of the process. They usually get into feather plucking contests. Afterwards they learn what it takes to clean up and return the unwanted parts to the earth. The families go home with fresh chicken in the cooler and enough to put in the freezer. A good education.

JKJ
    That's awesome John. Most kids never see any of this these days.

Probably more appropriate for the "levity" thread. Still....

FS Chicken Soup.pngFS Chicken Farm.jpg
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-27-2023 at 9:25 PM.

Killing and plucking is only about half the process. You still have to "gut" the bird and keep the usable parts - heart, gizzard, liver, neck. It takes a good hand to do this properly. There's a bile sack on the liver and you have to remove that and not puncture it.

]
    warning: very graphic chicken processing technology....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8EFGwd7GUM

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    warning: very graphic chicken processing technology....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8EFGwd7GUM
    PASS! (blech!)