Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another what is it thread

Another what is it thread

There's one on Facebook Marketplace for sale at only $35.
    I had to see a video of it in action to believe it was real.
    It is real and it does a very good job!

Please - if you use Google to fin the image, let some others try guessing it.

It chucks in an electric drill - if that's any help .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Looks like a chicken plucker......or a?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Dang! First one nailed it!
    It's a chicken plucker.
    I had to watch a video of one in action to believe it.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    My cousin used to raise and sell Capons. She used a machine with one of those spinning inside a hood to defeather a chicken. It didn't take very long.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-25-2023 at 8:10 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks like a bunch of those screw insert things used to attach euro hinges. Maybe IKEA uses it to pluck their chickens?
    Bill D

Kinky.....

Yup. When I was a kid on the farm our annual chicken butchering got to be too much for me and Dad (mostly Dad) to do by ourselves. We found an old gal North of us that would butcher for $0.25 a bird (it was about 1975). She had one of those mounted on a pedestal grinder/buffer motor. It made short work of it. It took her about 3 minutes a bird from the swing of the hatchet to rinsing and wrapping. What a gory mess!
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    It is a grizzly undertaking. I do not miss it. Many folks think meat magically appears on a styrofoam tray, shrink wrapped, with the blood discretely soaked up by an absorbent pad. I have not hunted or had livestock in years. We have a firm rule handed down from the Pioneers and Native American ancestors, "Anything you kill you must eat." My nephew has some interesting meals. We do love chicken and eggs. We may get chicks this spring.
    Our Son and D.I.L. just finished a 3 year experiment being Vegan. It made family dinners a challenge. It was a challenge we learned to enjoy.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    It is a grizzly undertaking. I do not miss it. Many folks think meat magically appears on a styrofoam tray, …
    I’ve had numerous Farm Days when a group of kindergartners and parents spend the day here: pet a horse, take a llama for a walk, collect eggs from the chicken house, pick a carrot and eat it, get stung by honeybee (optional). I can’t forget when one kid asked where the nuggets were on a chicken.

When our layers get tired of laying and it’s time for a new flock several times I have invited a couple of families with kids to come for chicken slaughtering afternoon. The kids learn where their meat really comes from and the details of the process. They usually get into feather plucking contests. Afterwards they learn what it takes to clean up and return the unwanted parts to the earth. The families go home with fresh chicken in the cooler and enough to put in the freezer. A good education.

JKJ

I was going to guess a paint stirrer, clearly in left field.

@Maurice I agree, and I find it odd to see how hunting has become demonized in media.

Blog Entries
    "Anything you kill you must eat."
    We used to yell that when youngsters to anyone who stepped on a spider or swatted a fly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

...."Anything you kill you must eat." My nephew has some interesting meals......
    My Dad's side of the family had a similar rule. They were all hunters so that was the plan anyway. He told a family story about a hard lesson some kids learned growing up during the depression. They grabbed a shotgun out of the rack and shot up a bunch of crows in the adjacent field. The Dad was so chapped that the kids had wasted expensive ammo that he made them clean, cook, and eat the crows. Yuck.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Looks like a chicken plucker......or a?
    Yep. I have one I built from PVC plumbing parts and rubber bungee cords. You wouldn't believe how many feathers there are on a chicken, or how big a mess you can make with one of these and a few chickens. It's an outdoors-only tool.

It is a grizzly undertaking. I do not miss it. Many folks think meat magically appears on a styrofoam tray, shrink wrapped, with the blood discretely soaked up by an absorbent pad..
    I once came across a field of wild, (unharvested) spaghetti....interestingly, it reminded me of miniature bamboo.
    So you can bet I KNOW where we get spaghetti and it ain't originally from a box!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Yup. When I was a kid on the farm our annual chicken butchering got to be too much for me and Dad (mostly Dad) to do by ourselves. We found an old gal North of us that would butcher for $0.25 a bird (it was about 1975). She had one of those mounted on a pedestal grinder/buffer motor. It made short work of it. It took her about 3 minutes a bird from the swing of the hatchet to rinsing and wrapping. What a gory mess!
    Yeah, I can imagine disposing of what was left was pretty offal.