Thread: Old six board chest

Old six board chest

We have a couple of these six boards. They are my wife’s family’s and with us now for about 12 yrs. Both have been used for holding plants over the years with the inevitable water staining, etc. My wife would like these re-finished and I need some help. What would you suggest as appropriate for them. That pictured is 18x 72”. Interesting hint on this one. I have never seen one like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would not touch them. The key thing about them is their age, and the nicks and dings which have been acquired over that age. Sand them down and refinish them, and they become just ordinary chests.

Were they ever finished? Doesn't really look like it. Unless the boss overrules, I agree with Jamie. Maybe clean them with a damp sponge with a little dish detergent and then with a damp mineral spirits rag.

John

I'd scrub them (not sand them) real hard with a soapy rag, then wipe clean with a damp rag. Lots of household furnishings were cleaned that way, back in the day.

Then I'd rub some paste wax onto to them, just enough to warm 'em up. This is if you want them to look old and unrestored, but cared for.
    --Jack S. Llewyllson

Gratitude is a gift to yourself.

Purity tests are the bane of human existence.

Codeine takes the pain from every muscle but the heart.

Agree with the go easy. It’s an interesting utilitarian piece. Many warnings given by serious collectors about radical re-dos . That box could
    be a combo “tools now, my body later” project. The guy might have been over-ruled by family wanting to bury him in something better ,or
    it might be that one of them just kept saying “ I sure would like to have that box, and I’ll pay the Doctor and his outstanding bills”.

It's Pine which is going to be difficult to stain. If you want a film finish, I'd go a light sanding, and then a waterbased flat poly. Should help with preservation, while not changing the look much.

My guess is they didn’t paint the coffin-tool boxes because it would have made them look too much like coffins. They were not morbid ,they
    were practical and frugal. They knew it would get a coat of paint or tar. Tar is shiny and used on roofs. Black is the color for death and
    mourning. I’m gonna work and live, I know it will look good when needed.

Another vote for the 'do not touch' approach. Sanding and refinishing will remove years of what the designers call patina.
    I would clean with mild soap, wipe with a dry cloth, let dry and apply a coat of paste wax.
    Recommend to the Mrs. and see if it will fly.

I’m thinking that if the coffins had some bones in them , we could vote and probably get several votes for “ could be 2 coffins”. But no
    way would we convince everyone.