Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My workbench build

My workbench build

Hey everybody, I’m a newish member/contributor and this will be my first post. I’m currently building a workbench from some longleaf and loblolly pines i milled from my property. I would say about 90% has been built using hand tools with the remainder being the few times I used my skill saw and bandsaw and the one time I used my uncles old electric handplane for about 30 seconds and made a huge dive in the top. Half of the top is a 13 ish” wide slab and the the other is laminated with some 2x and 3x boards. The leg vise is from Lake Erie and the chop is some white oak that my buddy milled. It’s drawbored with 5/8 red oak pegs that I made from some firewood. Still have a little ways to go before it’s finished and I’ll post pictures as I get it done. Thanks. Please excuse my disaster in my shop

Welcome to the group, great way to join with a major project!
    Workbench builds are very popular. Looks very solid, good joints, lots of progress! Not long to the final flattening of the top, that is the icing on the cake.
    Clearly you put some thought and planning into this project. Looks very long, do you plan some large tables or doors?
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 01-23-2023 at 9:20 PM.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks for the reply. It’s a little under 8ft long mainly due to the fact that the log I cut for the slab was that long. Probably should have included the dimensions…it’s 90 something inches long by 23ish inches wide by 30ish inches tall. I just wanted the flexibility to do what I want on it, but yes I would like to build a dining table for our home at some point

Looks great. I would make a relief cut directly on radius with the pith on the underside.

Nice bench! My next one will be pretty much 8'x2'. My current bench has been irritatingly short at just under 6' long. I think you'll appreciate the length.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Looks beefy and plenty of good exercise with the hand plane. Should serve you well. Looking forward to seeing the end result.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Looks great. I would make a relief cut directly on radius with the pith on the underside.
    Thanks for the suggestion

Such relief kerfs are common in Japanese timber framing, used in beams that contain the pith. Examples can be seen pretty early in this thread. I'm not sure if you have to join to see the pictures, or not. A timber that contains the pith will check along some radius line at some point, especially Pine. This just lets you choose which way.

https://forestryforum.com/board/inde...topic=114064.0

Great looking bench, and an impressive amount of work with handtools.

looks good, what's the dished area on the front left for?

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Creek Dalton and looks like a great bench.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome. My first big project was a bench and 16 years later it still serves me well. I wish I had the space for a man-size bench like you are building. Mine is a little wider (27") but only 60" long (small shop area). I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I had mounted my great grandpa’s old rr track anvil before I decided to use that slab for this bench, not sure what I’m going to do with that spot.. probably nothing

I didn’t feel like tackling the top, so as usual I put the cart before the horse and put in a shelf and attached a tool rack the the backside. I also glued some suede to the vise chops. Once this is done I am going to have to force myself to tackle the clean-up of my shop, or maybe just pay my sons 20 bucks. Thanks for looking

C5C00D56-4442-404F-BDE4-2498FDE81328.jpgE020F643-B257-49C0-9463-52730BBB9E39.jpg8301D2CA-4465-4296-BA55-D2D1F9A1E130.jpg

Tool shelf to quickly grab the most used is a real boost to productivity. I barely have to look when I grab.
    The front vise looks good. As for the anvil spot, easy to make a filler piece or add a thin stock stop.
    I mount mine in the tail vise when I use it.
    5C8B2C94-CC05-4645-93C4-CDC4B11B180E.jpg
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!