Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicone Caulk Remover - Which is the best

Silicone Caulk Remover - Which is the best

I am replacing the shower door in our 5th Wheel RV. All the aluminum frame, for the old shower door, came out easily, but the beads of clear silicone are proving very difficult to remove. The shower is a molded fiber glass unit.

I bought some spray on caulk and silicone remover, from HD, it goes on like a gel, softens the silicone a little and lets me remove some of it, using a plastic scraper.

According to the directions, I should be able to spray this on, leave it for a couple of minutes and then wipe off the gel and silicone. I've tried repeating the application about 5 times, but it seems its reached a layer of silicone that is too tough for the remover.

Based upon the age of our RV, the silicone has been in place a couple of years.

So looking for suggestions, thanks

Blog Entries
    I will have to look and make sure but I think 3M is the one I have had the best results with....

Humm, where did I put that caulk remover?

3M makes a good number of things right here in our town. That may be why this was at our local Ace Hardware. I have never seen it at the other stores.

Photo on 1-23-23 at 5.59 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-23-2023 at 7:11 PM. Reason: Image
    Best Regards, Maurice

I've had good luck with a single edge razor blade in a holder, and have never tried a chemical method.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I've had good luck with a single edge razor blade in a holder, and have never tried a chemical method.
    Wasn't aware of any effective chemical methods. I was in the hot tub and swimming pools business years ago - maybe chemicals have improved but like Zack I always had the best luck with a razor blade. I am looking at a holder that holds a standard utility knife blade. Numbers are 28-593 (Stanley).
    Regards,

Kris

I use a single edge razor blade holder and blade. I have had some luck with a woven nylon scrub pad too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If you get the chemical to work please let us know and let us know what the chemical is.

Like every one else I have always used a razor blade when resealing an aquarium. After scraping I usually use acetone... on glass, I certainly would not use acetone on fiberglass!

For fiberglass you might use Novus plastic polish to remove the last traces of silicone before putting the new silicone down. Novus #3 should leave just a bit of roughness for the new siicone to get a good bite on.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 01-24-2023 at 1:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure the "caulking" isn't DiCor sealant which comes in clear? DiCor is commonly used in RVs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bought some plastic razor blades with holders. The blades work pretty good without scratching, but the holders didn't last long. They will probably fit in regular razor blade holders, but I was able to finish what I had to do with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank I ordered a set of those plastic razor blades, didn't know such things existed.

Blog Entries
    Here is some data about the 3M.

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 8.10.30 AM.png
    Best Regards, Maurice

When you are ready to reapply the silicone, I can recommend the Cramer FUGI caulk tools. I used them for the first time redoing our shower.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cramer-CRA-40.../dp/B07NCZ2DQJ

There are similar cheaper versions but they are flimsy and not accurately molded

And these for any caulking tubes after use. I have some different types that are years old, and still good with these.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O994YRI...=caulking&th=1

They were well less than a buck a piece when I first bought some. I liked them so much I bought more.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-24-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Thank you all, got the Fugi caulk tools, ordering some of the caulk caps.

I use wood chisels...pretty much all I use them for.
    (Plus it make Neanderthals' heads explode. )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I had to to take apart a shower enclosure some years ago in a way it could be reused. It had silicone caulk on a lot of the metal. I tried the 3M silicone caulk remover and it did nothing. I know it was silicone caulk as I had installed the caulk. I ended up using a wire brush in a Dremel to remove the caulk because I didn’t care about saving the finish of the metal.