Thread: Tapered square shank to hex or round bit adapter?

Tapered square shank to hex or round bit adapter?

Hi Folks,

I am making a chair and I want to use my tapered reamer in my drill guide, but the shank of the reamer is designed for an older kind of hand brace that I don't have. I 'd also like to keep the nice angles that by drill guide has allowed me to achieve with the pilot holes.

I see adapters for braces that have a square tapered shank that hold hex or round shanks, but I cannot figure out how to adapt in the other direction, as it were. Are there any solutions here?

Cheers!
    Ryan

Blog Entries
    Cut off the square shank and chuck it in any standard chuck.

Welcome to the Creek by the way!!! I see this is your first post.

Ole
    NOW you tell me...

Be careful using the reamer like that...they were not really designed to be used with any kind of speed. Do your drilling using the drill guide, but consider finding a brace to use with the reamer. Braces are pretty easy to find out there used. I bought one from the ReStore a couple years ago for like $5 and it's in excellent condition.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree buy a brace. They will also chuck up a hex magnetic extension and make a very high torque cordless screwdriver.
    Bill D

You can buy a used brace for $5 at a garage sale, an adapter, if there is such a thing, would be cost a lot more.

Thanks for the help, folks, and for the warm welcome! I will go with the brace and practice sticking the angle by eye.

As long as your drilled holes are accurate, the reamer should follow them just fine when using the brace.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't know if they would go large enough for your needs but these tap sockets are handy for using a ratchet or drill/driver to power a tap or reamer also.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-70500-T...676731026&th=1

Those tap sockets will not really work. A tap has a square shank but no taper on the shank. An 8 Point socket would work as well.
    You could look for drill powered pipe reamers, both internal and external. I know thje ridgid 2" reamer, designed to drive with a pipe tap head, is like a 30 degree angle. Exactly the same angle as a Rockwell 12/14 saw arbor
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-24-2023 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Those tap sockets will not really work. A tap has a square shank but no taper on the shank. An 8 Point socket would work as well.
    You could look for drill powered pipe reamers, both internal and external. I know thje ridgid 2" reamer, designed to drive with a pipe tap head, is like a 30 degree angle. Exactly the same angle as a Rockwell 12/14 saw arbor
    Bill D
    They work just fine. Just not for this. I missed the tapered square which I should have known. I have used a brace numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As long as your drilled holes are accurate, the reamer should follow them just fine when using the brace.
    My experience is that the tapered reamer does not necessarily follow the drilled hole.