Thread: Shop Project: Mobile Clamp Rack

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shop Project: Mobile Clamp Rack

The new shop is bigger than previous and there is ample opportunity to be working on projects in different areas of the space, including more than one simultaneously. Putting all the clamps on the wall as I previously did just didn't make sense for the new shop building, so a mobile clamp rack solution got the nod.

Right up front I'm going to say that this is not "fine woodworking" and the whole project was done using materials on-hand. Casters were from the destroyed moving dollies that were under the J/P during the move; the platform was one of two I made years ago to put on horses or the Centipede when extra work surface was needed; one sheet of plywood of the two I had in the rack was employed for the majority of the structure plus a few scraps from what was left from the hardware shelf build and most of the "racks" that hold most of the clamps have been in use for years in the previous shop as well as the temporary space. IE...this is cobbled together.

So we start out with the platform...a kinda, sorta, not quite a torsion box thingie that's been around for well over a decade. It's ugly but sturdy and makes for a good base. Casters from one of the destroyed moving dollies were to go on the bottom of this and in order to provide a thicker surface for the screws/bolts that would hold them on, some square scraps of 3/4 plywood got mounted in the corners. The positions for those fasteners were pre-marked so installing the casters later in the build would be easier and faster.

IMG_3741.jpg IMG_3742.jpg

The rest of the structure goes on top of the base platform and starts with two of the long sides that are 150mm tall and two end panels that initially are 300mm tall. The reason for the latter is to provide a more continuous structure that the central "spine" of the rack would be fastened to while allowing some angles to be cut for a reasonable good look. Those angles were laid out directly on the material and then the corners were cut off using the tracksaw...fastest and easiest way to accomplish that. The corners will get used later, too...no waste.

IMG_3744.jpg IMG_3745.jpg IMG_3746.jpg IMG_3747.jpg IMG_3748.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-22-2023 at 8:42 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...