Thread: Little rust hunt gem

Little rust hunt gem

We were out and about and came across a yard sale sign. It was a house where years before I scored a mint Millers Falls/Acme Langdon Miter box with Disston saw for a whole $20. What are the odds I’d strike gold again?

As it turns out, the odds were poor. The seller indicated all the “good” stuff was sold the day before. There were a couple of trays of small tools for a dollar an item.

Who doesn’t need another hammer, especially one this cute, and for a dollar? I had thoughts of using it as a plane hammer but it’s too light. I’ve been trying to figure out what it’s intended role was or if it was just a novelty piece. Last week I was watching a YouTube video and a Rolex tech was servicing a vintage GMT. He had to drive a small pin out of its socket and pulled out a carbon copy of my little hammer. So I guess it’s a watchmaker’s hammer until I get better information. In any case it cleaned up nice.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 01-22-2023 at 4:22 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    That is super sweet! It looks like the web results I see for watch makers hammer. only with more style and grace.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    It would have likely come home with me as well, nice find Rob.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow…looks nice !

Looks like it might have been made by Stubbs. They are usually called “jewelers hammer”. Those are pricey things ! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Looks like it might have been made by Stubbs. They are usually called “jewelers hammer”. Those are pricey things ! Congratulations!
    Thanks for the tip. I did some web sleuthing and found a few that look very similar. Many identify this head shape as 'Swiss Style" This one has no markings of any kind so I'm not sure where it was made. My web findings run the gamut of real Swiss tools to offshore knockoffs. Prices run the gamut too. Some are stupid cheap.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.