Thread: Help! Advice on filling channel where dado wandered

Help! Advice on filling channel where dado wandered

Hi everyone. I'm building a wall-mounted coat rack about 64" long, with a small shelf that is sitting in a dado, which runs the length of the back board. It's made of red oak, and I'm finishing with Waterlox. When I cut the dado the board wandered, leaving a noticeable channel ranging from 1/16" to 1/8". I already have a few coats of Waterlox on the piece and it's looking great, except for the unsightly void.

I've tried filling with Shellac but that was a bust. I don't have a good source of fine sawdust, so that's out. Any suggestions? At this point I'm thinking I should just finish it and fill with Mohawk wax.

IMG_20230122_1004142.jpg
    Last edited by Yasha Renner; 01-22-2023 at 1:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-22-2023 at 1:19 PM. Reason: Image
    Best Regards, Maurice

If you can recut the dado that's what I would do. Cut it wider and glue in a piece of wood to fill it, then recut the dado needed for the shelf. If you can't recut it, then I'd add a trim strip of wood to cover the gap.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you can recut the dado that's what I would do. Cut it wider and glue in a piece of wood to fill it, then recut the dado needed for the shelf. If you can't recut it, then I'd add a trim strip of wood to cover the gap.

John
    This.

Don't bother with fillers. Repair it using a piece of the original wood stock if possible, so the grain and color are close.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

If you want the gap to disappear, recut the dado wider and replace the shelf with a thicker piece. Filler will always look like filler.

Chances are the keys, hats, gloves, letters and general culch populating that shelf will hide the gap just fine!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had already glued the shelf in place so putty it is. The gap is irregular shaped otherwise I'd try the trim strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Yasha Renner View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had already glued the shelf in place so putty it is. The gap is irregular shaped otherwise I'd try the trim strip.

Huh? A trim strip will cover an irregular gap. That's the purpose.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Huh? A trim strip will cover an irregular gap. That's the purpose.

John
    Please explain. I posted a picture of the work piece... the channel to be filled is wavy. Thanks.

For irregular gaps (if they're small enough) I will often use a piece of masking tape as a dam (on the inside of dado) and fill the gap with CA glue, either colored or with sawdust if I have it.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Yasha Renner View Post
    Please explain. I posted a picture of the work piece... the channel to be filled is wavy. Thanks.
    You would put the trim strip over the gap, against the shelf. It's an added piece.

John

Oh, right! That's brilliant! Think I'll add a cove detail too. Thanks for the tip.