Thread: Walnut end table finishing

Walnut end table finishing

I plan to build a couple end tables and I plan to stain them with a dilute transit to even up the coloring and hold the walnut coloring. Wondering if the stain will even out the coloring between these pieces of lumber. Two pieces on the right are lighter in color than the others. thanks brian

walnut for end tables.jpg
    Brian

I might wet them both with DNA to see what they'll look like with finish. There may not be a need for much correction. Depending on results, you may need to hit the lighter wood with a less dilute tint solution.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I might wet them both with DNA to see what they'll look like with finish. There may not be a need for much correction. Depending on results, you may need to hit the lighter wood with a less dilute tint solution.
    Rob, my plan is to stain the complete piece with a very diluted UV resistant stain once built to even out the finish and keep it from going blonde over time. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Rob, my plan is to stain the complete piece with a very diluted UV resistant stain once built to even out the finish and keep it from going blonde over time. Brian

I usually do the same, Brian. When I'm faced with a lighter board, or even sapwood I want to get rid of, I apply multiple coats to those areas. It takes a little finesse, sometimes even working with a small brush, to feather the additional coats into the rest, but dye is pretty forgiving. I prefer water for this work because of the longer open time and I think deeper penetration.

John

Last couple of projects with dye, I have used my HVLP sprayer using the dye diluted in denatured alcohol. I have been trying to use the "dry technique" as with the video below. You can do additional coats on the lighter sections. It has worked out pretty well. I wanted to go alcohol as the projects have been oak, and the water base raises the grain sometimes even when I do a grain raise step with water prior to dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQuUfSoSWgQ&t=2s
    Chris