Thread: Sanding

Sanding

Hi, I just pickup a Milwaukee right angle electric drill. I know that some of you have used a right angle drill to sand the inside of bowls. How do you go about doing it? I know it doesn't work on small bowls. I have a 2" disk like the ones for the wooden handle bowl sander that I use. Or is this not a good idea? Jim
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 01-22-2023 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by James Baldwin View Post
    Hi, I just pickup a Milwaukee right angle electric drill. I know that some of you have used a right angle drill to sand the inside of bowls. How do you go about doing it? I know it doesn't work on small bowls. I have a 2" disk like the ones for the wooden handle bowl sander that I use. Or is this not a good idea? Jim
    Assuming you have a disc holder with a mandrel, chuck it in the drill and have at it. (How to play the flute: blow in one end and run your fingers up and down the side). Why do you say it doesn't work on small bowls? I use the Roloc pad holders https://woodturnerswonders.com/colle...x-shanks-set-1 with hook & loop backed discs. On a deep bowl you might need a shaft extension. I rotate the bowl on the lathe by hand so I can concentrate the sanding action where it is most needed; some people run the lathe at low speed. Keep the disc moving to avoid divots. I like to finish up with a random orbit sander to avoid obvious swirls.

I do have a You Tube video up about sanding bowls, and have been using the Milwaukee drills for years. I use the 3+ inch blue discs from Vince Welch/Vince's WoodNWonders almost exclusively. One reason is that a 3 inch disc as more than twice the surface area than a 2 inch disc. I sand with the trigger down about half way, which is a 'traction' thing. Too fast, and the abrasives don't get a chance to dig in and cut. I have it in reverse as well. Slow speeds on the lathe as well. Speed = heat, and heat is not good for wood. I also made an articulated arm for sanding, another video. This lets my drill arm stay on a rest so all I have to do is squeeze the trigger. Huge savings for shoulders and arms. It also lets me spin the bowl with one hand while sanding with the other. Again, no muscles used other than trigger finger. That is a big step for initial grits.

robo hippy

What did I misspell? Thanks, Jim