Thread: Cedar trellis and gate (with modular decoration system)

Blog Entries

Cedar trellis and gate (with modular decoration system)

Dimensional cedar was used for this gate upgrade for my favorite customer (wife).

Each side consists of two uprights that are joined with what I'll describe as shop made ship lap which also hide the old posts behind. Left set of uprights connected to the right side across the top to distribute load, prevent gate sag, and give me a place for future install of lighting. A channel has been run up one of the uprights to accept/hide wiring.

The main panel of the gate is 1" that transitions to a little less than 1.5" at the edges - that transition is tongue/groove and glued. The top/bottom of the gate are then close to 1.75", installed as breadboards and pegged with shop made cedar dowels.

The gate decoration system is basically a sliding dovetail (made of PT pine) that was glued and screwed in place, and accepts a batch of "blanks" that I can affix my wife's seasonal whimsy to as time goes on. In this case, a winter-themed slate. I think this approach because the decorations are held very steady during gate operation, and swapping to the next season's decoration is a no-tool, 10 second activity.

Two-way gate latches are extremely hard to find at reasonable pricing, so I ended up having to do some modifications, but all is well that ends well.

All of this was topped with General Finish Clear Oil, and I expect it will need to be reapplied every couple years (or we can let it grey naturally).

Gate finished.jpg
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Looks great, Bob!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jay!
    - Bob R.

Pretty darn attractive, Bob. 'Hope the boss really likes it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nicely done, I really like it!

Blog Entries
    Thanks all! Not really a 'fine woodworking' project I realize, but felt like the crew here could appreciate the effort.

And yes... the wife is very happy with the upgrade
    - Bob R.