Thread: 4 DMT Dia-Sharp Diamond Sharpening Plates

4 DMT Dia-Sharp Diamond Sharpening Plates

Selling these 4 DMT Dia-Sharp plates. This set includes a Course, Fine, Extra Fine and Extra Extra Fine. The Extra Extra Fine is the newest. The rest are ~6-7 years old. I wouldn't say any have excessive wear and they cut fine. Only selling because I've decided to give Shapton stones a try instead.

Looking for $120 for all 4 of them combined, shipped in the US.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DMT Plates 1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	493938

Name:	DMT Plates 2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	493939

Name:	DMT Plates 3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	493940

Name:	DMT Plates 4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	493941

Name:	DMT Plates 5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	493942

are these the 3"x8" size
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Hi Ben,

You might not want to be in a rush to sell your DMT stones. I have both the DiaSharps and the Shaptons. The Shaptons will outsharpen the DMTs every time, assuming that you have a good selection of grits. That being said, the coarser Shaptons dish faster and need a little extra flattening as you sharpen. That is how they work and don't get me wrong, that is not a complaint and they are awesome. What I find works best is a combination of the DMTs and the Shaptons. Do the coarse work on the diamond plates and then the fine work on the Shaptons. The extra fine DMT is 9 micron, the new extra extra fine is 3 micron, and I have Shaptons that are less than 1 micron. I have been doing this for over 10 years now with great success.

Hope this helps...

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stankus View Post
    Hi Ben,

You might not want to be in a rush to sell your DMT stones. I have both the DiaSharps and the Shaptons. The Shaptons will outsharpen the DMTs every time, assuming that you have a good selection of grits. That being said, the coarser Shaptons dish faster and need a little extra flattening as you sharpen. That is how they work and don't get me wrong, that is not a complaint and they are awesome. What I find works best is a combination of the DMTs and the Shaptons. Do the coarse work on the diamond plates and then the fine work on the Shaptons. The extra fine DMT is 9 micron, the new extra extra fine is 3 micron, and I have Shaptons that are less than 1 micron. I have been doing this for over 10 years now with great success.

Hope this helps...

Joe
    I hate to muddy up a sale thread, but I agree with Joe. I have 3 DMT stones and 4 Shapton Pros. The DMT get all the grunt work and are much more convenient when flattening backs, etc.

Ben, I sent you a PM earlier this morning.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I also sent him a message yesterday afternoon
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

these plates getting busy. sent a pm thismorning also.

Sounds like Brian is first in line.

I retract my offer to purchase, so it is between those offers previously made. Good luck with getting a response!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 01-23-2023 at 8:42 AM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Hi all,

I unexpectedly had a bunch of work come up and didn’t respond to this thread as often as I would have liked. However I have been responding to PM’s. The DMT stones have been paid for and I hope to ship them out in the morning.

Also, thanks for the notes about keeping a DMT for fast work. I do have an Extra Course stone still that I use for back flattening and major repair work.