Thread: Weather resistant table top?

Weather resistant table top?

I'm looking for about a 2' x 3' piece medium weight sheet material that could serve as a table top and be weather resistant. As it needs to withstand direct rain I don't think anything made of wood would hold up, but I don't know what else I could use that would still be cheap as say plywood.

Any suggestion for something that's inexpensive and would be weather resistant? I usually only set lightweight tools and parts on this table so it doesn't need to be heavy duty at all.

Thanks!
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

You could use regular ( not the expensive) plywood and glue light canvas on all surfaces . Prime and paint . Old practice going back to at
    least 1890. Been used on boats with marine paint. I use Titebond 2. For ultimate, hinge one side and put a block under edge for instant
    rain run-off.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-21-2023 at 2:25 PM.

Old porcelain steel tabletop.

John

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what your table top needs to look like, but the composite decking boards sold by the borgs is completely weather proof. This picnic table has been out side year round in NW PA for at least 23 years.
    IMG_4073.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Maybe check out a place that does solid surface kitchen counter tops like Corian, they might have an offcut that would work.

There is always PVC sheet to use as a work surface...it just needs to be well supported (a lot of support) because it's not really a weight bearing material by itself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Look for a used stainless steel restaurant work table.

you can often find leftover decking material cheap at Habitat Restore.
    < insert spurious quote here >

A cover would probably be the cheapest option

At our mountain cabin, I use polyurethane finished plywood, and then just securely cover with a thicker type blue tarp and weight it down. If appearance is an issue, there are sturdy custom covers available.

For a outside basement root cellar type door that is angled and flat and gets the full brunt of rain and snow, I simply made a plywood door and brought it to a sheet metal fabricator and had him wrap it on five sides with sheet metal and screwed it in place.
    Last edited by Thomas McCurnin; 01-22-2023 at 2:54 PM.
    Regards,

Tom