Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UV Proof Zip Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I've found the same thing. White zip ties don't last in the sun. I exclusively buy black now even if they will stand out unless it's something like Christmas lights that will come down in a month or so.
    I think that is why they add black to tires.
    < insert spurious quote here >

We used a lot of zip ties in my former job securing hoses, wire looms etc. Black is the most UV resistant. Clear or white are temporary until you can get black.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    That's funny. I use those exact same reusable ones for the exact same thing with the tiedown straps. I have two Sterilite bins in the toolbox on the truck to hold different sizes of tiedown straps.

They also come in colors to make them harder to lose.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMQST9SG
    I haven’t lost any of the black ones yet but the fluorescent orange ties would be easy to see. These are longer than I need and cost more but don’t seem unreasonable.

I’ve tried different organization methods and now sticK with two strong lidded tubs, one for the all the ratchets and one for the rolled up straps. From the diameter of the roll it’s easy to tell which are the shorter straps I use on the sides and which are the long straps I use from the front to the back of the trailer (40’ I think). I usually carry 150 square bales per load (stacked 6 high) and tie down with 6 crossways and 4 down the length. I know that’s more than most use but too many is better than too few! I’ve seen plenty haul with 3-4 straps total but I’ve also seen bales on the road.

If anyone hasn’t tried storing straps rolled up there’s a nice advantage - take off the zip tie and throw the roll while holding on to the end. The whole strap unrolls across the ground, stretched out beside the trailer, ready to toss over the load and fasten down.

JKJ

I wondered if the black would last longer but that's a no-go for me. Looks like the permanent fix will be white clad copper wire.

The Carbon Black pigment prevents the UV light from penetrating and breaking the polymer chains. There will often be a sacrificial layer at the surface that "chalks" and protects the rest. White will always degrade, usually discoloring first and then getting brittle and falling apart. I've designed and manufactured a number of white plastic parts for exterior use. There are various UV packages that can be added to slow down the discoloration and ultimate destruction of the material. The copper wire suggested previously should work OK, but the vinyl insulation will still break down. Unfortunately, most (all) wire intended for outdoor use is black.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

For some reason the romex designed for direct burial and the pvc conduit is gray. The nEc say the neutral wire can be white or "natural gray" insulation. I have never seen other then white neutral wires.
    Bill D

I used these for tying up the excess wire in my solar system: https://www.gardnerbender.com/en/pro...es/Xtreme-Ties I have no idea if they will actually last longer yet.

My experience with UV wire tires is most of them become brittle by the time they are 15 to 20 years even when not exposed to UV. The black wire ties in my coach bus are still holding fine if not touched, but they will readily break if touched.

In this case I wouldn't buy them from Amazon. You just don't really know whether the advertised UV resistance is real or not.

I've bought from cabletiesandmore.com and their ties are excellent quality. I've used the UV ones outdoors and they do hold up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I've bought from cabletiesandmore.com and their ties are excellent quality. I've used the UV ones outdoors and they do hold up well.
    Oooh! That link is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Oooh! That link is a keeper.
    I’m keeping it too. In fact, I see things I’m going to order today.

BTW if anyone uses a lot of zip ties and doesn’t have a tensioning gun tool one can make life easier. Those made for nylon ties are not expensive. The tool will tension then neatly cut off the excess.

Places like waytekwire.com only sell quality brand name cable ties. The prices tend to be high unless you buy a thousand or more.