Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV Proof Zip Ties

UV Proof Zip Ties

Do they exist? I bought some on Amazon that claimed they were but now 2 years later they are failing.

This is for a 2' high garden fence made of PCV pipe and 1/2" hardware cloth so nothing heavy duty at all. It's just that I would rather not have to go around and replace them constantly.

Hoping someone has a source. Just a 6" tie would do the trick.

Single strand copper ground wire.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by William Lessenberry View Post
    Holy Cow! I had no idea stainless steel zip ties even existed! Wow. And honestly they are not as expensive as I would have thought. A couple hundred would probably do it. Still would prefer clear or white plastic so they blend, but to be honest, those are definitely a possibility.

Thanks for that for sure.

DZ

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Single strand copper ground wire.
    Bill D
    Yes that is definitely on the list of possibilities. Especially white clad to match the PVC.

14 gauge and do a spiral along the length.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 01-21-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    … Still would prefer clear or white plastic so they blend, …
    It’s been my experience here on the farm that white plastics of various types degrade in the sun much quicker than black and dark. For example white 5-gal buckets are the first to go. They get brittle and weak and break.

I generally fasten hardware cloth with twists of aluminum or galvanized steel wire. I fasten shade and wind fabric to the outside of my peacock cages with twists of fine stainless steel wire.

Another option for fastening things to either galvanized or PVC pipe is self-drilling sheet metal screws. I used those on pvc when installing my dust collection system. For simple frames and things outdoors I generally use the grey electrical pvc conduit since I keep some on hand and I like the look. I see black pvc is also available but I haven’t tried any.

JKJ

I figure that if I get 2-3 years out of nylon zip ties, I scored big.

Used to use zip ties on my Costco carport cover when the little bungees failed. White is shot in a year, black last about 3.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've found the same thing. White zip ties don't last in the sun. I exclusively buy black now even if they will stand out unless it's something like Christmas lights that will come down in a month or so. Those stainless ones look interesting. But I prefer the stile that uses a metal tang that bites into the plastic, not the type that has the notches. They seem to get tighter.

Those stainless steel zip ties break easier than you might think they would. I first used them to hold an exhaust wrap on the downpipe on a tractor to keep so much heat away from my leg. I broke several before I figured out just the right way to use the tool.

For heavier uses there are a bunch of different sizes of stainless strapping that comes in handy for a lot of uses. This method requires a special tool, but there is a cheap Chinese copy that works well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GL182FB...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-21-2023 at 9:31 AM.

Reusable zip ties

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Used to use zip ties on my Costco carport cover when the little bungees failed. White is shot in a year, black last about 3.
    There must be different grades of zip ties too. The ties holding the sheath for a big flat-tipped scuba knife to my tractor ROPS lasted 18 years in the sun before one of the two broke. The ties were larger and thicker than most in my zip tie tubs.

I’m guessing white ties let UV light penetrate deep inside the plastic while the black stops most of it at the surface.

Speaking of zip ties, for those who don’t know you can get reusable zip ties. Each has a release lever. I use them for a variety of things but mostly on 2” tie down ratchet straps, for example the long straps to secure a load of square hay bales to a trailer. I secure the loose ends with the reusable zip ties. When not in use I organize the straps in the storage tubs by coiling each strap tightly around it’s hook, the coil secured with a reusable tie. Makes life easier when it’s time to use them!

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0834ZF8S5

Every farmer who sees me use then asks where I got them. I usually carry extras so I can give them a handful. I mostly buy the 12” length.

JKJ

That's funny. I use those exact same reusable ones for the exact same thing with the tiedown straps. I have two Sterilite bins in the toolbox on the truck to hold different sizes of tiedown straps.

They also come in colors to make them harder to lose.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMQST9SG...jaz10cnVl&th=1
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-21-2023 at 9:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Aluminum chain link fence ties would do the job and would last pretty much for a life time. You can get them from any fence supplier or big box stores. Typically you can get 30 of them for about $8.
    fence tie.jpeg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That's what I used to hold the deer fence up on the 10' t posts surrounding the garden. I did hold it in place with cheap twist ties to start with, but those have long since failed, fallen off, and no telling where they are now.

Search "Metal Truck Seals" on ebay et al.
    Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Truck-T...06847570&psc=1