Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milwaukee M18 Sawzall?

Here's the way I raised that roof on the 12 x 12 building. Oak wedges to lift enough to get the Sawz blade between the plates. It was about the most aggravating Sawzall job ever. The nails were old 20 penny framing nails. Used a bunch of blades.

It's a little bathroom house on our point that was there before we came. The building has a wide overhang over the doors on the sloping sides of the roof, and had only about 6' 4" of headroom clearance. We're going to rent it for weddings, so I completely redid the bathroom house, starting with raising the roof to get 6'9" of headroom clearance.

I added three 2x4's between the plates, and bolted them all together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes, a Sawzall is the only tool that'll get the job done. When I worked as a framer, I used one daily. I still have one, but it rarely sees daylight anymore. Mine is probably 20 years old and built like a tank. If I were to buy one today, I'd stick with the same brand (Milwaukee), but would definitely go cordless. I have several Milwaukee M18 tools and like that platform, but keep in mind that the batteries are expensive as hell. And the recip saws, circle saws, and bandsaws perform a lot better with the larger, and also most expensive batteries.

Thanks guys for all the input, I am setup with most Milwaukee M18 tools but now need the Sawzall but just wanted to make sure its not a lemon. I hate to say this but I do need to cut some GRK's at the bottom plate, yep money down drain thanks to my errors.

Use a metal cutting blade

I have an M18 but it's not seen to much use. I bought it refurbished from a reseller on eBay. I just looked and it was $84.99. For intermittent cutting cordless is great. For big jobs that are going to be length cuts corded is the only way to go. Biggest job I ever tackled was cutting a 4" solid steel shaft in a locomotive crane. Definitely not a job for a cordless Sawzall.

I have an M18 Fuel. Like it alot.

I can’t speak to the relative sturdiness of the Dewalt versus the Milwaukee as an earlier post did, but I did get rid of my Dewalt in favor of the Milwaukee M18 fuel — I have batteries and tools from both brands. The reason? The Milwaukee absorbs a lot more vibration than the Dewalt. The Dewalt rattled the hell out of my hands, wrists, and arms. The Milwaukee much less so. I really like and think it is a good tool. But I am not using it all the time.

I picked up the M18 FUEL™ SAWZALL® Reciprocating Saw w/ ONE-KEY™2721-20 for a great price on clearence. It is a great saw, vibration is low and better than my older corded one. I have not used the one-Key, other than to turn it on once. I have used it for metal angle iron, branch trimming and demolition. I will grab it over a corded one these days. I am just a light user though, but like the portability of it with no tail. Dan

I have a corded Milwaukee Super Sawzall, an M18 Sawzall and a M18 Hackzall. I haven't used the corded one since I got the battery one. I used the Battery Sawzall when I was framing my building quite a bit. Our mechanic on my current project had a M18 Hackzall. I bought one and haven't used the Sawzall since. It may not give you the leverage you need for heavy demo work but for cutting out windows (sheathing and drywall) cutting pipe etc. it is a wonderful tool. Weighs much less and easy to use one-handed.

I use the Milwaukee bi-metal blades when cutting through nails and such.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The all time best was the Porter Cable/Rockwell. It had two functions selectable with a lever. One with an orbit for cutting wood, and one without for cutting metal. I have a Rockwell that I bought new that still works. The orbital action cuts wood at least 5 times faster than any one that doesn't orbit because it clears the sawdust.

For a cordless one, I bought a Makita because I was already into their battery system with other tools. I have no complaints with it, and blade changing is really easy, tooless.
    I have a corded Milwaukee that has the orbital function. Or I should say, “had.” It quite working after not a lot of use a number of years ago. I’ve probably had the saw about 15 years or so. At work, I have the M18 cordless. I don’t use it a lot, but it’s done what I’ve asked of it. The 5 Ah batteries give quite a bit of run time—I don’t think I’ve had to use the saw long enough to burn through a battery, so I couldn’t say how long it lasts.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

All my reciprocating saws are Milwaukee Sawzalls. I have 3 corded ones, and the original M18 (not Fuel). I want to get the fuel version but this one will not die. I have used it as a full time carpenter with a crew since 2012. Just keeps on ticking. I also have two of the original three batteries still in service from that 2012 purchase. If it ever dies the replacement will be the M18 Fuel version.