Thread: Anyone Ever Use This Plywood?

Anyone Ever Use This Plywood?

I'm seeing the stuff for the first time on FB and wonder if anyone has experience with it?

Blog Entries
    It used to be popular for making tool/knife handles and other turned items.
    PA2989.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-20-2023 at 11:05 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Link? I can't tell much from the picture taken from your phone. Looks like MDF ply, but not sure what the veneers are. Also interesting that plywood and Gwyneth Paltrow come up on the same page

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I'm seeing the stuff for the first time on FB and wonder if anyone has experience with it?

Is that SpectraPly or similar, made if I remember, with died birch veneers? Some copycats use y.poplar veneers. How thick is it, what are the other dimensions available? SpectraPly can be relatively expensive - what is the cost per given sizes of what you found? (I don't do Faceboook)

What do you plan to use it on. I can imagine some uses having less visual impact than others.

I've used spectraply for wood turnings. Can be interesting for handles, bottle stoppers, and other small things.

The bottom of this picture shows a couple of wands made with it. I cut the blanks on a angle to get the patterns shown, quite a different look than with the axis down aligned with the veneer. I made these over 15 years ago.
    comp4.jpg

And the two green/blue/orange two-part finger tops at the right and center of this photo (with white holly handles/tips) are made from the stuff.
    Christmas_2018_IMG_7919.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-20-2023 at 11:45 AM.

can't imagining that being what most would call "affordable plywood "

My guess is that "Clever Home Improvement" is pulling the old bait and switch

That colored plywood picture is meant to catch your eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    can't imagining that being what most would call "affordable plywood "
    I was thinking the same thing...there's no way that colored layer stuff is going to be "affordable" in the context that most folks would expect! That said, it's pretty interesting looking stuff for projects that celebrate visible edges.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Click bait on Facebook. I have used dyed and laminated products from Cousteau.
    pendantnecklaces.jpg

Make that Cousineau Wood Products. Neat stuff in the right applications. I like it in bottle stoppers and handles. For my taste, pens are too small to let the variations show.
    Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Make that Cousineau Wood Products. Neat stuff in the right applications. I like it in bottle stoppers and handles. For my taste, pens are too small to let the variations show.
    Earl
    Thanks for the correction Earl, I should have done a quick Google.

Richard, those are beautiful.