Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin Nailers

Pin Nailers

Can someone explain to me the difference(s) between these two 23ga pin nailers?
    I read the specs (I worked in calibration lab for 25 years so I am no stranger to specs) but I can't see a whole lot of difference between the two, maybe nail length and capacity.
    And I first looked on the Bostitch website for the specs, not Amazon.
    Is there any advantage of one model over the other? Any application where one model would be better than the other?
    I already have Bostitch 16ga and 18ga nailers and am happy with them... no misfires or jamming.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

BostitchHP118

Bostitch BTFP2350K

The second one is for 2 inch pins. The first link is for shorter pins.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    The second one is for 2 inch pins. The first link is for shorter pins.
    Well, yes, I saw that in the specs, but I was asking if there is any other differences I should take into account in s choosing one over the other (pin capacity is different too, btw)

Patty, the HP118 requires oil, has only a "hi-power" or "low power" switch for depth control and if you have a jam requires one to use tools to disassemble it to clear the jam. The BTFP2350K has a tool free jam latch to open it to clear a jam, it also has a tool-less, adjustable depth control that should be more precise, and is oil-less. There could be a weight difference too. The HP118 says it weighs 2.5 lbs. The BTFP2350K only states a shipping weight of 4.1 lbs. so I can't determine if the tool weights are dissimilar.

As you stated, there is a difference in useable pin length.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Patty, the HP118 requires oil, has only a "hi-power" or "low power" switch for depth control and if you have a jam requires one to use tools to disassemble it to clear the jam. The BTFP2350K has a tool free jam latch to open it to clear a jam, it also has a tool-less, adjustable depth control that should be more precise, and is oil-less. There could be a weight difference too. The HP118 says it weighs 2.5 lbs. The BTFP2350K only states a shipping weight of 4.1 lbs. so I can't determine if the tool weights are dissimilar.
    As you stated, there is a difference in useable pin length.
    Thank you, ken. That is the type of info I was looking for.
    Anything that requires disassembly to un-jam is a "no-buy" for me if there is an alternative.
    The other two nailers I have are also "tool free un-jam."
    So, the BTFP 2350KF is the one. Weight difference is negligible.
    Thanks again

The other thing I noticed is the 2350 has no/low nail lockout. That alone would make the difference for me, I hate nailers of any type that don't have it. It's so easy to get in the groove only to find out the last 10 fasteners were--um--fastener-less.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Patty, if it helps make up your mind I can tell you that I've had the 2350 for a couple of years now and love it. I've had no problems with it and do have a rare occasion to use a 2 inch pin which is the main reason I bought it. As I've done with all my pneumatic tools for the last 50+ years I put a couple of drops of Marvel Mystery oil in them before each use. And I learned a long time ago to avoid any disappointments like Paul may have had to load it up with pins before using.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Patty, if it helps make up your mind I can tell you that I've had the 2350 for a couple of years now and love it. I've had no problems with it and do have a rare occasion to use a 2 inch pin which is the main reason I bought it. As I've done with all my pneumatic tools for the last 50+ years I put a couple of drops of Marvel Mystery oil in them before each use. And I learned a long time ago to avoid any disappointments like Paul may have had to load it up with pins before using.
    Thank you John for the "real life" review.
    And Paul too, for your comment. The "no/low nail" lockout wouldn't matter too much if it were missing because I don't do rapid fire/high number nailing... just here and there maybe a dozen or so at a time.

Ken's comments about not needing to disassemble it to clear a jam pretty well "nailed" it for me (HAHA...yes, bad pun).
    Nice to hear what others have to say about it. As I said, I have the Bostitch 16g and 18ga in the same line and have been happy with them.
    So Thanks all. Will definitely get the 2350.

I've had the 118 model for a long time and also bought the 2350 model about 2 years ago. The 118 worked very well for most anything I used it for. I bought the 2350 to get the 2" pin capability, and it's now the only one I use

While I'm partial to the Grex, that 2350 looks like a nice pin nailer and is the better choice based on what's already been said. I really love having a pin gun around...very versatile for both projects as well as temporary fixtures.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I too like the grex but its 2x the price. having 2" option is nice.

I have the 1 3/16 Bostitch and it has never jambed for me. While I agree I have wished for a longer pin on occasion I will also say that my 2 inch brad nailers occasionally angle a brad nail in a goofy direction due to grain in the wood. I think this would be significantly worse with a pinner. I am not saying not to get the newer pinner but take in mind the possibility the pin may exit oddly with respect to where you put your hands.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    ......... While I agree I have wished for a longer pin on occasion I will also say that my 2 inch brad nailers occasionally angle a brad nail in a goofy direction due to grain in the wood. I think this would be significantly worse with a pinner. I am not saying not to get the newer pinner but take in mind the possibility the pin may exit oddly with respect to where you put your hands.
    Yes, this is important.....
    A long time ago I worked in a dedicated mill shop making components for codominiums. I went in on a Saturday to work and was by myself in that part of the building, I was stapling a window frame together and one leg of a 2-1/2" staple hit a small knot, going through my middle fingertip and into the bench. I could not reach anything to put the staple and when I tried to move the frame it felt like it was going to rip my finger off. I shouted for five minutes or so until someone passing an open door heard me, came in and grabbed pliers to get the staple out of the bench. A quick trip to the ER and I was good, but, I to this day keep my hand far away from anything I'm using pneumatic nailers to assemble.
    As to long pins, Im very old school about fasteners- if I need a fastener much more than an inch, I'll use a thicker brad nail; more than say 1-3/4" I'll switch to a finish nail. Better holding power with the heavier fastener and I dont care if I have to use a little bit of filler to hide the hole. Nothing p***es me off more than seeing where some 'trim carpenter' has fired 30 pins into a casing- or worse yet a jamb- and they pull when the door or window goes into service.
    Same with cabinet moldings and crowns that gap when the building goes through seasonal humidity changes.
    Pinners are a great tool, but not an end all to fastening things together
    Last edited by Mark Wooden; 01-21-2023 at 10:08 AM.

At this point in the world of nailers I'm not real sure I'd stick too much money in a pneumatic nailer.
    Cordless nailers have come a long way and seem to be getting better all the time.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Apologies for the abbreviated response. Reading the initial post led me to believe that you had done due diligence and were just missing the obvious. I have a 2350 (not the k model) and have owned it at least 15 years. I have only had one jam (maybe 10 years ago) due to bad pins but I had to take the head apart to clear them so not sure how much i believe in the jam latch. That said, 1 jam in 15 years is pretty awesome I think.

Not a big fan of cordless (although they have their place). (For me) They're generally to large and awkward to fit into the right place at the right time.

As far as rogue staples go, I'm sure a chunk of us had something similar happen at some point. I was building sound suppression boxes (they hang from the ceiling) for a restaurant some years ago and all I had were way too long staples. I was stapling the fabric in place when a staple went sideways on me and shot through my finger. I'm a little extra careful now.