Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some travel tips, SC/TN/KY/WV

I sure do appreciate the input! Glad I asked. I am taking notes and putting together a plan. Wish I had more than two weeks......

It was about a year ago I asked about South Dakota, and in that thread, I heard a lot about Tenn. So much that I had plans to visit the area. Well that plan morphed into a two week trip in Maine. I really enjoyed Maine, especially the middle and upper coastal area, but feel like I still need to explore this area of the country before committing. Plus, Maine is not a tax / retirement friendly state.

Wherever I end up relocating to, property on water, or at minimum - a water view, will be a priority. Ocean, lake, river - in that order of preference. I also like trees, mountains, green spaces, so that's the things I'll be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    With a limited time trip, of the beaches I've been to and want to go to, I can't think of a single one ranked below Myrtle Beach. My Wife's Sister owns a place there, and they love it, but it's not for us. They like Commercial crowded places, and feel scared driving around the dark country here at night. I'm more scared of driving around in a city in New Jersey where they live at night. Different strokes.
    Good input. I might just drive through the area then. I have a coworker that convinced me to visit Myrtle Beach. I was stationed in Virginia Beach, and have no desire to ever return.... I'm with you on the urban/rural point of view. Even in Alaska, there is more to be concerned about in some areas of Anchorage, than wandering about the bush..... I'd rather try to reason with a brown bear than punks with guns.

Myrtle Beach is just a bigger, flashier version of Virginia Beach. Much bigger, flashier, and more tacky.

I forgot about going to Atlantic City, NJ though.

I live in Virginia . Virginia Beach places can be rude. Probably because of kids tearing up stuff. The Carolinas have wonderful, kind people
    running the Inns , Hotels ,and Restaurants. Perhaps good service and sincere kindness is a good business plan.

You've already had lot's of advice. Lee is correct that there is more than enough to see at Charleston. Old plantation homes and more. So much history there. Patriot Point has a WW II battleship, submarine, and more. Going inland and north I know Asheville was mentioned but I didn't see the Biltmore. That is an amazing piece of architecture and it's still owned and operated by the Vanderbilts. I'm like Tom, Myrtle Beach doesn't impress me in the slightest. The Corvette museum is indeed awesome. Lot's of history of the beast there. Saw people taking delivery of their new C8's while there. Mammoth Cave National Park is close by also. Enjoy yourself and let us know what all you do take in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    ...I'm like Tom, Myrtle Beach doesn't impress me in the slightest. ...
    Same here. The drive to Myrtle Beach from here is a lot shorter than to the Outer Banks so we've gone several times. I can barely stand it. I do like several areas north and especially south far more than the main tourist attraction.

We've been going to the Outer Banks nearly every year since our oldest son was 7 and he's 50 now! We usually stay around Avon, kind of central for my interests. I like the beach access with 4WD, the incredible wildlife, and the surf fishing.

fishing_PA265222.jpg

There are beaches in the national park area accessible only by foot but once on the beach you may not see another person all day.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Wherever I end up relocating to, property on water, or at minimum - a water view, will be a priority. Ocean, lake, river - in that order of preference. I also like trees, mountains, green spaces, so that's the things I'll be looking for.
    TN does have a bunch of large lakes formed by dams which created planty of lakefront and lakeview property. It's usually a bit pricey! There are lots of mountain/hilly areas in the east (and in Western NC) with large streams and babbling brooks. Lots of rivers and river property, some fed by dams which eliminates seasonal flooding. The closest to us is the Clinch River fed from Norris lake (53 square miles) and dam, a trout fishing paradise plus canoeing, other boating. The Clinch flows into Melton Lake then past Melton Dam it flows eventually into the Tennessee River, then to more lakes and dams. There are a bunch of rivers/creeks that support whitewater sports (I used to be a kayaking maniac).

Property along a river is sometimes cheaper than the lakefront lots but the scenery can be outstanding. This is a view of the Clinch river from my drone. The circle is a riverfront lot we sold recently, near the end of an island.

D_DJI_0287_es.jpg

This is what late fall/early winter (Nov/Dec) looks like around here. Everything looks better in the spring/summer when the trees are green!!

Of course water "view" can be a LOT cheaper than water front property!

JKJ

picked up a wagon in Hilton Head. Went to Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston and Asherville on the way home. Asherville has a little home called Biltmore. The whole story of that place is pretty staggering railway line and sawmill on the property and and. Saw lots of nice craftsmanship in every place. Depending on the area ive seen more woodwork on homes in the US than anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    You've already had lot's of advice. Lee is correct that there is more than enough to see at Charleston. Old plantation homes and more. So much history there. Patriot Point has a WW II battleship, submarine, and more. Going inland and north I know Asheville was mentioned but I didn't see the Biltmore. That is an amazing piece of architecture and it's still owned and operated by the Vanderbilts. I'm like Tom, Myrtle Beach doesn't impress me in the slightest. The Corvette museum is indeed awesome. Lot's of history of the beast there. Saw people taking delivery of their new C8's while there. Mammoth Cave National Park is close by also. Enjoy yourself and let us know what all you do take in there.
    It's been several years since I was in Charleston but was impressed by the restorations. Charleston was hit by a hurricane that did significant damage to antebellum historical structures. The work done to restore them seemed top notch.

Blog Entries
    I want to visit Brookgreen Gardens in the Myrtle Beach area. We love the Outer banks as well, Kill Devil Hills and the Wright Brothers Memorial are probably way too far away. Duke Gardens in Durham NC. is a lovely place... The whole area is appealing. Our Son in Durham NC and Daughter in Brunswick GA wonder what we are waiting for?
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thanks again for all the great help, folks! Myrle beach is off the list. We'll stay in Charlestown a day or two longer with that deletion..... (I've always wanted to explore Charlestown).

Bowling Green vette plant is a site I do want to visit, but was intentionally ignoring the fact that I'll be in the neighborhood, and could easily swing a tour.....I need to get rid of the vette I have now, not buy a new one, and the new Z06 is calling to me, and the new E-ray even more.... Not sure if I can resist the urge of buying one, if I go to the plant.

Thanks for the reminder of Biltmore! That's been a place I want to see for years. The castle, grounds, and vineyard too. Staying for a night in the main house would be fun.

John, thanks for the real-estate info. If there a route to take that might navigate through areas/towns along a decent sized lake, what might that be? I know property on the water usually has a premium costs, but the next home is going to be my last...... The picture of land you sold is nice. I think I'd prefer a place a bit further off a main road, but I also don't want to drive too far down a gravel road either.

Biltmore is absolutely worth it. A lot of people are put off by the idea of such extravagance spent on a house, but it gave a Lot of people good paychecks, and very good training.

If we hadn't bought what waterfront property we did 45 years ago, we'd be limited to about a half acre now. I put everything I had in it when I was 27.

1000 craftsman from Europe spent six years building it. Thats a pretty rare thing.

P1080129B.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-21-2023 at 3:02 PM.

Anyone actually stayed at one of the Biltmore hotels on the property? Ate dinner at the Inn? Dress code recommends a jacket/slacks. We were not really planning to pack much and stay nimble this vacation. But if the dinner is worth it, and we're there.... might as well.