Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker Stands

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Couple of tips coming from the audio world. Getting some leveling spikes to install on the bottom corners is a good thing. Many different sizes depending on your need and if you are placing it on deep pile carpet.

https://www.parts-express.com/speake...cabinet-spikes

Also, like Derek suggested, having some way to put a lot of weight onto the bottom of the stands is also good so that it makes a solid contact with the floor. You don't want the stand to be pushed back or resonate from the speaker vibrations.
    Wow, this speaker building thing is a huge rabbit hole!! Just what I needed to find, another rabbit hole to get lost in. Looks like a fun hobby though, building high end speaker cabinets is something I could potentially get interested in.

Well, that is the last time I will post a project before it is completed. Life can get in the way sometimes...

In response to some of the comments - the stands will sit on a wood floor and record albums will be stored in the lower part which will, hopefully provide sufficient ballast. I will post a pic of them with the speakers on them and records in place.

Still need to attach the tops and the drawer fronts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Ditto on that! I need to go bak to the New Years resolutions posts and commit to not starting any new projects until the unfinished ones are done. Those stands look great!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Kris, are those drawers? Interesting design. I would be curious to know if they resonate (like speakers). If so, you need to decouple the speakers, or fill the drawers with absorbent material (my stands are filled with sand).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek - yes, they are drawers. I will report back once they are in service.
    Regards,

Kris

The record albums will need more support along their bottom edge, especially in the middle! A drop in shelf would be easy to add and not visible when records added.
    You need the speakers in the picture for the balanced look, the look of the drawer is different, gives them character.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    The record albums will need more support along their bottom edge, especially in the middle! A drop in shelf would be easy to add and not visible when records added.
    You need the speakers in the picture for the balanced look, the look of the drawer is different, gives them character.
    Thanks William. I think there is plenty of support for the records. I removed the drawer pull as I think it is a distraction. I will make some pulls from walnut.

Speaker Stand with Albums 2.jpg

Speaker Stand with Albums 1.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Kris, are those drawers? Interesting design. I would be curious to know if they resonate (like speakers). If so, you need to decouple the speakers, or fill the drawers with absorbent material (my stands are filled with sand).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The drawers are a non-issue
    Regards,

Kris