Thread: Squaring Sled

Squaring Sled

Hi, I was watching an episode of Ask This Old House the other day and they were building a Shaker style end table. They used a home made sled to true up the lumber. I was curious about it and was wondering if there where any plans. Thanks, Jim
    Last edited by James Baldwin; 01-20-2023 at 12:32 AM.

I presume you mean the panel sled that Norm uses, where the fence is in front of the piece rather than behind it like when using a miter gauge? If you search online for "Norm Abram panel sled" you will find some good examples. I made one of those years ago back when I had a contractors saw and it worked great for handling larger pieces.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Do a youtube search for William Ng. He shows how to build and align a table saw sled/panel sled. I made one that Norm used and then I made one using William Ng's method. The Ng design and method produces a more consistent, accurate build. It's accurate!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I should have been clearer. It's called a planer sled. It was used to true up the edge of the board that wasn't straight. I have one that is a piece of straight lumber with a couple of clamps that the board that you want to true up clamps into then you slide it along the rip fence. I'd like build something better. Jim
    Last edited by James Baldwin; 01-20-2023 at 12:31 AM.

Yes that is very different. It's not really a sled but a taper jig. All you are doing is attaching a straight edge to a board that doesn't have one. No need to complicate it beyond that.

A planer sled is a different animal.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 01-20-2023 at 2:25 AM.

You are looking for a jointer sled
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otnHklOdwtk

That's pretty much it. Theirs was slightly different. It had tracks for the hold down clamps. They were calling it a planer sled. Jim

A planer sled is a way to run a board through a planer without a jointer to make 1 side flat to start.

Jointer sled is to get 1 edge flat. Building it with tracks will allow you to use it as a tapering jig as well. The basic 1 in the video is strictly to make 2 parallel edges on a board, 1 with the sled and when you flip the board you can put the parallel edge on it with the TS.
    I had 1 of these before getting a jointer and it was very useful.

What tool are you going to use with this sled to put a straight edge on a board?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It just sparked my interest. I have an 8" Pioneer jointer but sometimes I have to true up board and I need a better tapering jig so I thought maybe I could combine the two of them. Jim