Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norm is Back !!

I loved the show. Watched whenever I could. Couldn't stand the purists who thought of him as not a "real woodworker". Learned a lot from his shows. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I loved the show. Watched whenever I could. Couldn't stand the purists who thought of him as not a "real woodworker". Learned a lot from his shows. Randy
    Remember that he started out as a contractor, that's how he met Russell Morash. I expect his 'fine woodworking' skills developed somewhat as he did NYW over the years. Part of the reason NYW was successful IMO is that he/they selected projects that a moderately skilled hobbyist would not be intimidated by.

And if the claims were true, he was fast (efficient)! Two copies of each project in one week was the claim for the bulk of the projects. One prototype and one primarily made for the taping sequence. Of course most projects showed him starting with S4S lumber which certainly helps time-wise as opposed to cleaning up rough sawn lumber.
    I watched most of the shows over the years and without a doubt I was inspired to make furniture as a result. And, yes, I still have my biscuit joiner. It still finds an occasional albeit rare use in the workshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Remember that he started out as a contractor, that's how he met Russell Morash. I expect his 'fine woodworking' skills developed somewhat as he did NYW over the years. Part of the reason NYW was successful IMO is that he/they selected projects that a moderately skilled hobbyist would not be intimidated by.

I watched a couple of season 1 episodes yesterday—video technology has come a long way, and I’m spoiled with 1080p!!

I did watch most Saturdays, and did (or tried) a lot of stuff I would not have, thanks to NYW and This Old House. My first house was built in 1913, the second in 1888, and the third (30 years and counting) in 1920. Both shows helped more than I know.

I watched Season 1, Episode 1, to see way back when. On the first shot where Norm was using the table saw, the minders - ever responsible and safety-minded - superimposed a message telling us that the blade guard was removed only for demonstration, and that you should never, ever use a table saw without having it in place. Problem was that Norm was cutting finger joints at the time. Try that with the guard on! Er, don't.

It's fun to read how he influenced you guys. Me too, I blame him for "lighting the fire" and getting me to a career that I actually enjoy. Back before interwebs, NYW and TOH were the only way that this old farm boy could see a little glimpse of the magic that building stuff with wood is.

Yeah,
    Norm was just one of us guys that had to keep himself busy, building and learning.

I wish YouTubers would have a prototype, like Norm always did, to help viewers understand the big picture behind every cut,

Blog Entries
    He made that trestle table build look so easy...
    NOW you tell me...

This is great news.

Thanks for the info.

MK

Thanks Rich,
    Great memories! I also used the VCR. It aired here on Saturday afternoons, my one time I could count on to be in the shop building something.

I never realized that the shop was that small. I wonder if there is a collection of outtakes somewhere showing the "bloopers"? That would be interesting to see....

Interesting that NYW will be on YouTube. Might interest a whole new generation of woodworkers.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-24-2023 at 8:52 PM.

I’m glad to hear that, I feel that Norm probably did more than anyone else, through Russell Morash to popularize woodworking than anyone I can think of.

I only wish that he never removed the guard from the saw, I think that “normalizes” it for many, no pun intended. When I’m teaching all guards are used, we all understand that the cutter is removing material whether we can see it or not.

I saw the tribute to Norm on This Old House, it was wonderful to see.

That said, I think I’ll get a mug of tea and watch one of his great episodes for nostalgia’s sake.

Thanks Norm, you’re a treasure…….Regards, Rod.

I worked with Norm at This Old House about 20 years ago and keep in touch with Russ (and Norm to a lesser extent). NYW is a very special place and I have fond memories of visiting there. I still have this poster that a friend there gave me while cleaning out his office.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason White; 01-30-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

That's a wonderful keepsake, Jason!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...