Thread: "kid proofing" a dining room table top

"kid proofing" a dining room table top

My son & his wife asked me the best way to remove the scratches / gouges / dings ... on thier tabletop and topcoat it for preservation and heavy use with 5 kids. I thought maybe a car polish buffing product might be a way to remove/hide most of the scratches. What about an overcoat? I am going to try and determine the type of finish with lacquer thinner first. Maybe recoat with lacquer and then a top coat? Maybe that's not the best. The topcoat would probably be an oil based polyurethane. But I'm wondering how to best get rid of / minimize the scratches also.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, an overcoat, one that isn’t dark brown !

If you are unsure what the current finish is, you might want to put down a barrier coat of shellac, then the topcoat of your choice. Or at least test your finish of choice on a small less visible spot. More durable finishes would be things like a conversion varnish, or if you are set up with the right PPE, a 2k finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Jarchow View Post
    If you are unsure what the current finish is, you might want to put down a barrier coat of shellac, then the topcoat of your choice. Or at least test your finish of choice on a small less visible spot. More durable finishes would be things like a conversion varnish, or if you are set up with the right PPE, a 2k finish.
    I'll end up doing it in thier dining room so can't do anything real toxic. I'LL test the finish with lacquer thinner give it a very light (240 OR 320 GRIT) , shellac it, and put a floor finish on it.

Our maple island top got used for years for our kids homework, art projects, magic markers, etc. The marks were deep enough that I brought my Festool ROS and vacuum and sanded it down. No detectable dust showed up in the house. I finished it by brushing on Minwax oil modified poly. It has held up great.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    Our maple island top got used for years for our kids homework, art projects, magic markers, etc. The marks were deep enough that I brought my Festool ROS and vacuum and sanded it down. No detectable dust showed up in the house. I finished it by brushing on Minwax oil modified poly. It has held up great.
    I used that product on a dining room table, too. Goes on beautifully with a brush and is amazingly durable. I was amazed how it looked like I had sprayed the finish.

John