Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News from LN on upcoming productions

News from LN on upcoming productions

I emailed LN to inquire about an estimated timeline on the No. 1 and 2 iron body planes and got this reply from Nils Lindquist - "We are currently working on No.1, No. 2, and No. 3 in Iron. I do not have an exact lead time for when that will be right now, but we're hoping to have them ready relatively soon. No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 in Bronze will most likely be 6 months to a year out."

I was surprised to see that they intend to again make available the No. 1 and 2 in bronze. From previous communication I knew the No. 3 bronze was on the "to do" list. It sounds like they are still trying to iron out some casting issues with the bronze bodies.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Nice update, I'm hoping to catch a #2 if I can get one. I assume this will be a limited run.

I just picked up a LN #2 from the classifieds and man is it useful. I wasn’t sure I’d need it but I find myself reaching for it often. No fear of tear out since it has a chip breaker. It is about as small a bench plane as I can manage to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ...bronze bodies.
    You're going to get some search hits from the surfing crowd.

Be still heart and I best better pay off the credit card!! An iron #2 and #3, Yowzah!!!
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-19-2023 at 3:46 PM.

Looking forward to them !

I’m pleasantly surprised/ shocked to hear they’re coming out with a bronze 1 and 2. I figured those were gone for good.

Any word if they’ll come out with a bronze 4 1/2 as well?

Ben, I think the motivation for bronze is to add weight to smaller planes. I have no information either way, not have I seen any comments otherwise, but I doubt the 4 1/2 would be produced in bronze given its heft in iron.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Fingers crossed. I've been waiting for a #3 for a couple years, it seems.

I'll take whatever is offered first, which sounds like iron.

They did once make a bronze 4 1/2. It was their 25th Anniversary plane & they said they would never make them again. I was able to procure one from Australia. Hand signed by Thomas. Last one I saw a few years ago, was around $2k on CL.

Following up here as it's been about a year. Any word on availability of the non-Core tools from LN? Somebody somewhere mentioned they're building an in-house foundry. Any news on that?

Hi folks,

I never put my hand on a no.3
    How useful it is in the shop? My hands fit perfectly in a no.4 (LN) but on the website they say
    the no.3 is good for addressing smaller areas. Some of you have used it already?
    On the converse, I've read here and there that no.1 and 2 are less useful... Do you agree? Hope I'm not off topic

Thanks,
    Haisam

Quote Originally Posted by Haitham Jaber View Post
    Hi folks,

How useful it is in the shop? My hands fit perfectly in a no.4 (LN) but on the website they say
    the no.3 is good for addressing smaller areas. Some of you have used it already?
    On the converse, I've read here and there that no.1 and 2 are less useful... Do you agree? Hope I'm not off topic

Thanks,
    Haisam
    I purchased a LN #3 a few months ago to replace a vintage Stanley. I find it to be a useful size when working both on small areas and on smaller scale project components like box sides. It lives up to its reputation as a small nimble smoother, and is much lighter than my Bronze #4.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thank you Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haitham Jaber View Post
    Hi folks,

Thanks,
    Haisam
    Hi Haisam, it all depends on the sizes of your projects and your hands.

In my hands they can all be accommodated. Sometimes a #4-1/2 works best for smoothing larger pieces. At other times a #1 is the right size for the job. The #1 and #2 are like block planes with handles and chip breakers. My #3s are often taken off the shelf instead of one of my #4s. They are a lighter and nimbler choice for the work.

My #2 is likely my least used smoother.

If you do a lot of small boxes or jewelry boxes, then you might find the smaller smoothers advantageous.

If you make mostly blanket chests and casework with drawers the larger size planes will be all you need.

It also may be determined on the direction you see for your woodworking. Some folks want to run a minimalist shop. This is to keep the investment in tools to only those needed for the hobby or profession.

Others are more like myself in buying just about any tool that comes their way. Though my shop is running out of space to keep many more new acquisitions.

Then there is all of those in between.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)